Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenwise_gw

Baby 'Blue Moon' Wisteria Developing Copper Color on Leaf

JenWise
9 years ago

Hi, I'm a container gardener (East-facing balcony) in NYC, and I purchased a 'Blue Moon' Wisteria from Jackson & Perkins, which arrived as a young plant (I know there's a better word for this, maybe you can enlighten me) in a quart container. It doesn't seem to be growing as quickly as the clematis, 'silver bells' akebia and honeysuckle that I also bought from them since replanting in larger pots on my balcony two weeks ago, and I just this morning noticed some copper coloring overtaking one of the leaves. The leaf seems supple and healthy still, so I'd like to know if this is a natural occurrence or if it means I'm doing something wrong. The pot is a standard plastic one from Home Depot, but I make sure to take all the bottom saucers off since they cause them to become waterlogged...plus I know this plant needs to drain well. Should I add an aerating material to the soil? Does it need nourishment (the soil I added around it is Miracle Gro potting soil that's been used before in other plants)? It gets 6 hours of sun daily now and that increases as spring and summer progress. I'd also like to know how long I should expect to wait for flowers...are we talking months or more like years? It's only about a foot tall right now. Thank you in advance for your advice!!!

Comments (5)