Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby 'Blue Moon' Wisteria Developing Copper Color on Leaf

Posted by JenWise 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 9:12

Hi, I'm a container gardener (East-facing balcony) in NYC, and I purchased a 'Blue Moon' Wisteria from Jackson & Perkins, which arrived as a young plant (I know there's a better word for this, maybe you can enlighten me) in a quart container. It doesn't seem to be growing as quickly as the clematis, 'silver bells' akebia and honeysuckle that I also bought from them since replanting in larger pots on my balcony two weeks ago, and I just this morning noticed some copper coloring overtaking one of the leaves. The leaf seems supple and healthy still, so I'd like to know if this is a natural occurrence or if it means I'm doing something wrong. The pot is a standard plastic one from Home Depot, but I make sure to take all the bottom saucers off since they cause them to become waterlogged...plus I know this plant needs to drain well. Should I add an aerating material to the soil? Does it need nourishment (the soil I added around it is Miracle Gro potting soil that's been used before in other plants)? It gets 6 hours of sun daily now and that increases as spring and summer progress. I'd also like to know how long I should expect to wait for flowers...are we talking months or more like years? It's only about a foot tall right now. Thank you in advance for your advice!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby 'Blue Moon' Wisteria Developing Copper Color on Leaf

New growth on my Wisteria is often a coppery or bronzy sort of color. Post a pic for better advice :-)

Josh

o

Good idea! Thank you! Here's a close-up of the leaf in question.

o

Here's a pic of the entire plant, in case that helps.

o

Yet another close-up (can you tell I'm worried?)...

o

Well, that's not the new growth color I was expecting, I'm sorry to say. That growth is fairly well hardened off. I'm not sure what the cause is, but I would remove that leaf and throw it away in the trash. Are any other leaves affected?

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here