Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First timer:melon question:)

Posted by Itzybitzy 7NC (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 9:18

I have dif. varieties of melons growing in plastic containers.I planted 6 seeds in each container because I have read that they do best if you plant 3 per pot? they are the kind that looks like a wiskey barrel about 15" across and 13"deep.So of course every single one sprouted and need to do some thining how many should I leave max. the varieties are:minnesota midget,canary,golden midget,yellow moonbeam,delice de la table,etc.If I leave too many I would not get many fruits on them right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First timer:melon question:)

I would leave three. Many would tell you to cut down to two or even one, but there are so many things that can happen to melons before they produce, that I like the insurance of three. Once two of them have started to form melons, you can cut the third or smallest vine if it seems that they will become over crowded. With pots that small, you may need to water every day once they get going. Good luck.

o

I agree with ohiofem, just make sure you cut the right one out when that time comes :) Also, make sure you are extra diligent with staying up on the watering when they are in containers, if you give them too much water in one shot after not watering for a short period of time, you may risk the splitting the melons.

I grew some crimson sweets last year in containers smaller than yours, and I got a few ripe melons, but they were far smaller than they should have been, probably due to crowding in the root zone. A couple also split because if forgot to water one day and then saturated them the next, a couple of the melons split within hours.... they were ripe though (or close at least) and I discovered them soon so I ate them anyway:)

o

Thanks for the feedback you guys,I appreciate it:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here