Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knock Out Roses IN Containers

Posted by Dizzy48 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 9:24

I AM TRYING TO GROW PLANTS IN CONTAINERS ON MY PATIO...I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WOULD KNOW IF KNOCK OUT ROSES DO WELL IN LARGE CONTAINERS AS THEIR PERMANENT HOME...TKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knock Out Roses IN Containers

Sure they will do well in containers, if you follow the very good advice available on this forum. Al

o

Out of curiosity, why Knock Outs? There are a wide range of roses that will work well in containers (check out Rose Forum). As a rose, Knock Outs are more of a landscape shrub as opposed to a container plant. They can get very large and unwieldy and are sheared to the ground in fall here by many gardeners in my zone to keep them in check. Since I'm such a different zone than you, I can't give any recommendations for alternate types, but there are quite a few California gardeners on the Rose Forum that could help you out.

o

They require the least care, and they have been marketed well and they bloom for a long time -
Not without problems, but many home owners do not have time a patience and knowledge for other roses.

o

Most repeat blooming roses grow for a long time. Knockouts are to roses what McDonalds is to food. Yuck!

In zone 9 there are so many tea roses that would be beautiful and easy care. There are a subset of Bermuda mystery roses as well. Just stay away from hybrid teas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here