Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

My new container garden in back yard

catherinet
9 years ago

I have a big "regular" garden, but I absolutely hate leaning over to deal with things. Most of my big garden is now a vertical garden.

Anyhow.......I've tried totes to grow things in, in the back yard and they didn't work out so well. But I decided to try something a little different, and raise it up.
These are Behlen Country food-grade 70 gallon poly stock tanks. I put about 12-15 holes (1") in the bottom, lined the bottoms with 1/2" hardware cloth and filled them with home-grown compost.

The one in back is up on bales of straw. We'll see how long those bales hole up.
The one in front is on cement blocks and 2"x6" boards.

I'm growing broccoli, lettuces, spinach, carrots, kale, collards, and will soon plant onions.
The 5 gallon food-grade Tractor Supply bucket has a cherry tomato plant in it.
I'm excited about having some food so close to the back door.........and higher off the ground!

{{gwi:27441}}

Comments (10)

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Very clever,I have a bad back so raising the containers like you did is a good way to go. Looks like your veggies are liking it to.
    Thanks for sharing, Christine

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Christine.
    I'm really enjoying not leaning over!!

• mari66
    9 years ago

Hello all
    I too have bad back and knees which limits gardening and like this novel idea-- I have settled on dragging an outdoor chair around-- and the pots I use do help -will get serious to design something for when my raised bed gives out
    This is a cool idea-- would the bales draw bugs and rodents -- I need something to raise it up--yet my only sun side is in front there fore I need to find something the neighbors will like w/o spending lots of money--all ideas welcomed Thanks Mari

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mari,
    I was a little concerned about the bales drawing mice. I think the fact that the 2 columns are separated by some space would help keep them from setting up housekeeping. I also worry about them eventually deteriorating. The stock tank, when filled with soil, is VERY heavy.

I think the support of the cement block and wood will last much longer. You can get cement blocks with a fancier facade (like at Menards). Also, I'm thinking of putting up a little wooden fence around the cement blocks so they don't show. Good luck with your project!

• njitgrad
    9 years ago

Great idea. How much did those tanks cost you and where did you buy them?

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got them both through Amazon. The first time there was a $10 off special and I think I paid $143.00 for it. That included tax for my state with no shipping charges.

The second time I got a discount on something I had ordered but wasn't right, plus a promotional credit and I got it for a total of $131.

I called our local tractor supply and for them to order it, it was going to be something like $227.
    If you live in an area that has a Blaine's Farm and Fleet, I think they are only $69.00, if you carry one out.
    Unfortunately, they aren't anywhere in my state.

• kittikity
    9 years ago

Maybe putting some lattice just under the lip of the stock tank all the way to the ground (or just above the ground) will make a nice planter that your neighbors won't mind.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's what I was thinking too kittikity! I've been looking for some sections of something I can easily fit there.

Fortunately , I live far away from others, so nobody else has to see our funky stuff. :)

• markjg
    9 years ago

Looks good! You should replace the hay bails though ;)
    I just bought a rubbermaid stock tank from Zoro.com
    check them out next time you need one. I paid $77 after a $15 off coupon for a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank. They have other models too.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An update on my Behlen's food-grade stocktanks for gardening.
    They worked out great this past summer. I bought another 4' long one and am considering buying yet another one.
    The straw bales did great until late in the season and the ones on the one side really began to sag. So we replaced them with cement blocks topped with a thick cedar board.

I'm thinking of constructing some easy way of covering them with clear plastic....sort of like a little green house so I can warm them up earlier in the season.

I actually found that Global Industries sells their 4' one (50 gallon) at a much lower price then Amazon. However Amazon sells the 6' long one (70 gallon) at a lower price.

When Global Industries sent the 4' one........it had no packaging at all......but seemed all okay.

I'm planning on growing 6 Roma tomatoes in one of the 4' long stocktanks. It will be so nice picking them from a standing position! I plan on refreshing some of the soil every year. I was even thinking of putting one of the longer stocktanks in my bigger garden where there is more sun.

Everything but the romano beans and peppers are on trellises.......so pretty soon I won't have to lean over much at all, except to plant and weed. But my husband is a great weeder, so I think I have that covered too! I'm dreaming of spring already............it's supposed to be zero out tonight.