Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Short Deck Tour & Grafts (pic heavy)

Posted by gardener365 IL 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 10:15

I've just begun and will have at least twice as many containers once I'm finished. Just a short photo tour. I'll continue to post during the months forward as the color begins to show.

Thanks and enjoy.

Dax

Short Deck Tour

Short Deck Tour

Short Deck Tour

Short Deck Tour

Short Deck Tour

Short Deck Tour

Short Deck Tour

Short Deck Tour

Short Deck Tour

Some of my favorite photos of this years grafts:

The best color of blue spruce I have ever seen. That standard to compare them all with is a cultivar called 'Hoopsi'. This is just spectacular. Expect it to become mainstream in the USA in 5-years from mail-order companies.
Picea pungens 'MPH Mamut Torony'
Picea pungens 'MPH Mamut Torony'

Abies concolor 'Sourek Hexe' (Rocky Mountain White fir) this is a dwarf witches' broom:
Abies concolor 'Sourek Hexe'

Abies koreana 'Wellenseind' (with pollen I saved and luckily was provided a male-cone on another cultivar Korean fir cultivar I grafted)
Abies koreana 'Wellenseind'

Here's the lucky pollen recipient and the cone that was in the perfect stage for pollination.
Abies koreana 'Blue Magic'
Abies koreana 'Blue Magic' pollinated with A.k. 'Wellenseind'

Abies koreana 'Blue Magic' pollinated with A.k. 'Wellenseind'

Larix decidua 'Lucek' - European larch
Larix decidua 'Lucek'

Abies concolor 'Bedon' (Rocky Mountain White fir)
Abies concolor 'Bedon'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Short Deck Tour & Grafts (pic heavy)

Excellent, Dax! It's great to see you over here at the Container Forum!
I just picked up a Cedrus libani (my first true Cedar) and I have it potted and protected
from the deer. Gotta love Conifers in containers. I look forward to following
your updates in the months to come.

Josh

o

Very interesting group of conifers in containers. I'll be following along for sure. I have several species of pines and cedars I'd like to try to grow in containers. Can't wait to see how these trees grow.

Blake

o

Awesome, thanks guys.

Dax

o

Ah, this is so awesome! I love the fact that, not only do you collect trees, you GRAFT all your specimens. So unique! It looks like it's a lot of fun too. I'm really looking forward to seeing their growth.

Those are really interesting plants, especially the European Larch. I'm jealous of your back porch!

o

Many thanks Astroknot! Grafting is the true love of winter. Gardening year-round, just as container gardening is.

Dax

o

Dax:

I see the beginning signs of your own mini paradise! I am so loving those unique trees since I am always looking for the hard to find and have to have ones.
I appreciate your invitation as so do all of us.

Prey for a good amount of sun and warmth, since it will certainly help. We get one day of sun and maybe 70, then 5 or 6 of grey skies lately and the 50's.
And who said mother nature was going to give us a break from the dreaded long winter?:-(

Thank you, thank you for posting such beauty.

Hey Josh: Wait until you see my special Trident Maple:-)

Have a great day everyone.

Mike:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here