Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slow release fertilizers vs liquid fertilizer

Posted by JessJesting 6a (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 10:16

What is everyone opinions on this? For potted indoor plants what is better? Slow release (e.g. Osmocote Plus) or liquid fertilizer? Do you think it is dependent on the type of plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slow release fertilizers vs liquid fertilizer

I guess I should also say my question was in relation to indoor potted plants. Not outdoor ones. Thanks all in advance. =)

o

I use both at a slightly reduced rate on both indoor and outdoor plants. This seems to work out well because when the plants are growing faster they get watered more so more fertilizer is delivered. When they go almost dormant in winter, they need less water and fertilizer.

o

Thanks for your reply! I was worried using both would burn the plants.

o

Eventually Slow Release will run out of steam. Then you can only top dress. So then that will act like liquid fertilized anyway.

This is my first year doing container planting, mostly peppers and a couple of tomatoes. So based on the recommended practice in this forum, I mixed some SRF to potting mix. Then I will have to read my plants and may fertilized with reduced strength liquid fertilizer later on. Both SRF and liquid fertilizer that I am using have 3N-1P-2K ratio.

o

Liquid is unquestionably better since you can control how much it gets and exactly when it gets it.

But most people don't have time for it.

o

I also use both... it depends largely on the plant, the size of the pot, the medium... the season...

I'm a big fan of Al's Gritty and 511 mixes. I often use a liquid plant food plus a micronutrient during the growing season, backing off a bit with dilution during any dormant or winter season.

For larger plants I take outside during summer, I use Osmocote. Less work for me.

o

Alright well the consensus seems to be use both! So that's what I'll do! I'll have to do more research on Als mixes. I had read a little about them but I haven't got the actual recipe. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here