Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimsyborogrove

Al's mixes: I need a quick course in screening!

mimsyborogrove
13 years ago

Just back from the hardware store where they sell hardware cloth in 1/2" and 1/4" sizes and of course, window screen. Using these, can I screen my ingredients to the appropriate size for gritty mix? for 5-1-1? If not, what size screen do I need and where do I get it?

The pine bark (bagged as "Organic Pine Bark Soil Conditioner") varies in size from dust to 1" chips, but for the most part it's thready, not nuggets, with 1/8" x 1/2" being typical. Also it comes out of the bag brown/black and moist, with an earthy not piney smell and dries to chocolate brown, no smell at all. I was told it was "aged". Is this the partially composted stuff? If so, can I still use it in the gritty mix?

The Oil Dri (can't find Turface for love or money) also varies greatly from 1/16" to 1/4", with most particles tending to the smaller end.

For the stone I found the real deal, Gran-i-grit grower size.

So, which of these products need screening, what size to I want to get them to, and where do I find screens if the 1/4" and/or the 1/2" aren't right?

If it makes a difference, I plan to use the gritty mix in larger pots (5 gal or larger) and the 5-1-1 in small ones all the way down to quart size.

Thanks for being patient with the newbies!

Barbara

Comments (7)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Suggestion:

Pine or fir bark: Use everything that passes through a 1/2" screen for the 5:1:1 mix, but try to find a bark product, the bulk of which is 14" and smaller. Partially composted is best. For the gritty mix, an uncomposted product is best. Use everything that passes through a 3/8" screen but does not pass through a 1/8" screen.

Turface: For the gritty mix, use everything that does not pass through aluminum insect screening. Use the fines in beds or hyper-tufa projects in place of sand.

Gran-I-Grit or cherrystone comes pre-screened, but there is a lot of dust. I screen it through insect screen to get rid of the dust.

FWIW - I don't base my soil choice on container size. I put anything that will be in a soil for a single season in the 5:1:1 mix. That would be all the flowery display containers for the gardens & decks and veggies. Everything else goes in the gritty mix, which would be any plantings I think might go 2 years of more between repots.

Al

13 years ago

For a couple of years I've been meaning to take a picture of my soil sieves. I have two sets of 4. One set is about 24 x 24, the other about 14 x 14. Screen sizes are 3/8, 1/4, 1/8, and aluminum insect screen.

{{gwi:3443}}

Al

• mimsyborogrove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Al, those screens look beautiful. Where did you find them?

13 years ago

Lol - I made them.

I guess I should say thank you. ;o)

Al

• conon
    12 years ago

The screens look great and I plan on making a set to screen materials for the Gritty Mix. But, I have been unable to find the 3/8 inch screen/hardware cloth/mesh, either online or at a local retailer. Can someone PLEASE recommend an online retailer that sells it by the small roll.

Thanks

Conon
    Evansville, IN

• conon
    12 years ago

Kernul1

The below is why I was wanting the 3/8, but his response to you sounds better for me, in regards to finding the right screen. Thanks for your help!

RE: Al's mixes: I need a quick course in screening!

Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on Wed, May 5, 10 at 13:50

Suggestion:
    Pine or fir bark: Use everything that passes through a 1/2" screen for the 5:1:1 mix, but try to find a bark product, the bulk of which is 1/4" and smaller. Partially composted is best. For the gritty mix, an uncomposted product is best. Use everything that passes through a 3/8" screen but does not pass through a 1/8" screen.

Turface: For the gritty mix, use everything that does not pass through aluminum insect screening. Use the fines in beds or hyper-tufa projects in place of sand.

Gran-I-Grit or cherrystone comes pre-screened, but there is a lot of dust. I screen it through insect screen to get rid of the dust.

FWIW - I don't base my soil choice on container size. I put anything that will be in a soil for a single season in the 5:1:1 mix. That would be all the flowery display containers for the gardens & decks and veggies. Everything else goes in the gritty mix, which would be any plantings I think might go 2 years of more between repots.

Al

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living