Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer Question

Posted by bigpinks 6SEOhio (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 10:29

I did an extensive web search before I posted this so as not to be a big pain. I would like to know what are the trace elements or micronutrients needed for tomatoes or peppers not occuring in regular granular fertilizer or Miracle Grow? I realize that many posters are growing trees, ornamentals etc and that I might be worrying over inconsequentials, but in for a nickel in for a dime. I looked up the address for the Dyna Grow Fert and the S.T.E.M. product from Oregon but dont want to wait a week or more if I can get something here. I have MG, Osmocote and Espoma Plant Tone as well as Fish Fert. Any help would be appreciated....trying hard to learn here in the Buckeye state.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer Question

Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur and Sodium are needed in relatively significant amounts. Boron, Manganese, Copper and Zinc in trace amounts. The Dyna-Gro products offer the big three (N-P-K) plus all these micros - better, they are already properly balanced.

Worm's Way carries some of the Dyna-Gro products - not sure if they list Foliage Pro. They are headquartered in Indianapolis and I'm sure shipping time and charges would be favorable.

o

Many thanks

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 9, 11 at 18:08

Just for the sake of accuracy, Ca, Mg and S are secondary macro-nutrients and it's generally considered that Na (sodium) is unnecessary for normal growth, even though it does affect the water relations of a few plants positively, and it can sometimes act as a conservator or partial replacement of K, but never as a complete replacement.

MG 24-8-16 supplies everything likely to be deficient in bark-based soils except Ca, MG (you get these from the lime in your soil) and S.

AL

o

Thanks so much Al....that really helps a lot. Maybe this isnt rocket science after all!

o
Lime as needed

I am using collected rain water(it was easy to get if you dig) and when I water it runs out the bottom lke it should. After a month of this should I add a pinch or two more lime to avoid BER?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 9, 11 at 20:27

If your soil was limed, it's probably unnecessary to add additional lime at any point, though if you happened to be pressing the same soil into service for the third year, you might need to include a little Epsom salts in your fertilizer solution because the Mg fraction of the lime is about 125X more soluble than the Ca fraction.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here