Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shade loving plants for covered porch?

Posted by tricia_mn MN zone 4 (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 10:30

Anyone have any ideas on what I can put in my covered porch window boxes? They really don't get any direct sun, just some bright light in the morning. I would love something colorful or an annual that would bloom, but so far I've tried impatiens, rex begonia, torenia and fuschia all without luck. I'm to the point of putting fake flowers in, just for some color, but I can't bring myself to do it since the rest of my gardens are beautiful!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shade loving plants for covered porch?

• Posted by nixonk 5 (Chicago) (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 07 at 12:36

Have you tried coleus? They don't flower but the foliage is very colorful.

o

I have found window boxes impossible to deal with. They are under the eaves of the house so they must be watered even when you have had lots of rain. They are frequently in the deep shade. Most boxes are too small to be effective. My squirrels love to plant walnuts in them, and the neighborhood cats love to sit in them. I always wanted to have a house with "those cute little widowboxes", but never again will I have that desire. I have already removed some of mine. My best year of growing in them was a begonia plant, but I replanted them many times that year because the squirrels dug them up frequently.

o

thanks for tip on the coleus, I had not thought of planting them and there seems to be a lot of colorful choices. I just bought some orange ones called sedona and some red ones called big red. They both said "sun or shade". Has anyone ever had luck in shaded window boxes with them? I hope that my $40 investment pays off this summer!

o

Geraniums.

o

I agree with the idea of coleus. I plant them in pots and window boxes all over my porch and they thrive beautifully in the shade and hour or so of indirect sunlight they get every morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here