Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urbangardener73

Growing Netted Melon in Container

urbangardener73
17 years ago

Anyone have any idea how to grow netted melon?

{{gwi:27833}}

I had some seeds from netted melons which I bought back from India after a busines trip. It tasted like honeydew with green flesh, but looks like small little basketball.

Appreciate the help.

Thank You everyone.

Yes I live in a apartment and I love to grow things from seeds. I had actually tried pumpkin, and they flowered and also tried squash but all of these had been attacked by pest, mealy bugs, I lost both pumpkin and squash.

I would appreciate any ideas for trellis for melons to climb up. Anyone have a design for a nice trelis for a potted netted melon.

I had examined my seeds and i saw a few had already pop up from the soil. How big would be a suitable container and I heard melon need cross polination, so I will need 2 containers.

Regards,

Urban Gardenr

Comments (10)

• rain1950
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First off, I think what you might have is net melon, netted melon, nutmeg melon, Cucumis melo reticulatus,a muskmelon vine with fruit that has a thin reticulated rind and sweet green flesh. It yields up to 15 pound, round, netted, deeply ribbed fruits with a thin rind and flattened ends. Its light green flesh has a superb texture and melts in your mouth with an ethereal, spicy sweet taste reminiscent of nutmeg. The first taste illicits an involuntary, yummy-swooning expression in reaction to its exquisite perfection.

That correct?

If so, you will need a minimum of 5 gallon container; 10 gallon even better. Handle them like cantaloupe.

• urbangardener73
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi rain1950,
    Thanks for the reply. I finally get the right picture.
    Here it is

{{gwi:27834}}

The right name is "Plum Granny (Queen Annes Pocket) (Vine Pomegranate) (Perfume)"

http://www.newhopeseed.com/vegetable/melon.htm

5 gallon, ok. I would try to get one, as of yesterday 7 seeds had already sprouted.

When is the best time to seperate these seedlings?

Really excited here :)

From what I make of melons from many sites and some people here, is that they needed cross-pollination. So I could be polinate with my hands. Does that mean I would need another vine or another melons family to set fruit.

Thank You.

Regards,
    Urban Gardener

• carol_71
    17 years ago

Hi, just bounced casually over here. One plant should do for the pollination, but you can have one or more backup/s, just in case something happens to one of them. As long as there are bees around, it shouldn't be nessary to hand pollinate. If you want to make sure that pollination takes place, then you can try what says in a book I've got here: female melon flowers form a sort of tiny melon - when there are four or five females, you can cut one male flower (one that doesn't have the "belly") and shake it a bit in the heart of the female ones (it emphasizes to leave on the plant the rest of male flowers) - it's better to do it at noon, in a humid day.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Wish you great success!
    Carol.

• carol_71
    17 years ago

Hi, just bounced casually over here. One plant should do for the pollination, but you can have one or more backup/s, just in case something happens to one of them. As long as there are bees around, it shouldn't be nessary to hand pollinate. If you want to make sure that pollination takes place, then you can try what says in a book I've got here: female melon flowers form a sort of tiny melon - when there are four or five females, you can cut one male flower (one that doesn't have the "belly") and shake it a bit in the heart of the female ones (it emphasizes to leave on the plant the rest of male flowers) - it's better to do it at noon, in a humid day.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Wish you great success!
    Carol.

• urbangardener73
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi carol71,

Thanks for the reply.
    I have just sowed the seeds in the pot without spacing them. Could anyone give me advice on how to thinned them or and when is the best time to replant the seedlings into other pots so that I could have more vines this way.

Regards,
    Urban Gardener

• anney
    17 years ago

urbangardener

If those melons weigh 15 pounds each, you're going to need a strong trellis and strong nets or slings for the melons to grow in once they've appeared.

Do you know how long the vines grow? That will impact the height of the trellis.

Did you see this information about it? This site says the fruits are only 2"-3" in size so they certainly won't weigh 15 pounds.

MELON - QUEEN ANNE'S POCKET Victorian Perfumed Melon / Plum Granny. 20+ seeds - $2.50. This pretty little monoecious vine is an heirloom treasure often forgotten in modern day gardens. A unique vine will sport 2-3" melons of yellow and orange in only 75-80 days. In days long ago, the melons were carried in the pockets of those who may not have had the facilities needed for proper hygeine. The melons would help to mask body odors when one was not able to bathe, thus the term 'pocket pomander' was born.

Though they are edible, they have a very bland flavor and are actually preferred for the perfumed scent rather than become a food item. Also known as the Victorian or Queen Anne's Pocket Melon, Plum Granny Plumgranite and Dudaim Melon. Stories of old tell that Queen Anne herself carried one, which would explain why common names such as Her Majesty's Melon have been used. Produces a tiny yet memorable conversation piece. Not a bumper crop by any means, but an heirloom well worth planting. Though they are edible, they have a very bland flavor and are actually preferred for the perfumed scent rather than become a food item. Also known as the Victorian or Queen Anne's Pocket Melon, Plum Granny Plumgranite and Dudaim Melon.

Stories of old tell that Queen Anne herself carried one, which would explain why common names such as Her Majesty's Melon have been applied. Produces a tiny yet memorable conversation piece. Not a bumper crop by any means, but an heirloom well worth planting. Though they are edible, they have a very bland flavor and are actually preferred for the perfumed scent rather than become a food item. Also known as the Victorian or Queen Anne's Pocket Melon, Plum Granny Plumgranite and Dudaim Melon. Stories of old tell that Queen Anne herself carried one, which would explain why common names such as Her Majesty's Melon have been applied. Produces a tiny yet memorable conversation piece. Not a bumper crop by any means, but an heirloom well worth planting. Halfway down this page.

=====

Since it's monoecious, that means that it has both male and female flowers on the vines, and you won't need other vines for it to pollinate, though a backup or two wouldn't hurt, and would provide you with more melons.

I'd check out the actual weight of the fruits and the vine length if possible before settling on the kind of trellis you'll use.

And transplanting them to your large containers can be done carefully. They're quite likely to survive if you pamper them for a day or two afterwards, making sure they are kept moist but not overwatered and shaded.

Good luck!

(Do you plan to stop bathing and carry one around in your pocket when it's hot? :-) )

• anney
    17 years ago

rain surely meant that the plant produces around 15 pounds total of the small melons, not melons that weigh 15 pounds each! They must be the size of regular tomatoes, so any sort of trellis would probably work if it were tall enough to handle the vine lengths.

• carol_71
    17 years ago

very interesting the history behind these melons, anney!

Urban Gardener, sorry for my repeated message, don't know what happened.

About separating the seedlings: I'd do it as soon as possible, before they tangle too much their roots- first make sure the roots have already *absorbed* some moisture, then *carefully* would separate one by one, with the help of some kind of thin stick with unsharp/rounded tip (I like the ones that come in the ice-creams, or the manicure ones, or even a pencil, or a toothpick with not too pointy tip) then place them in individual pots, following like anney recommended: moisture and no direct sunlight, but please don't over-do either of them! And of course, there must definately be some good ventilation: not wind, but ventilation.

When the melon plants get bigger, it might be prudent to check before watering, if they do actually need it, with a "moisture meter". I wouldn't use it in seedlings, since you can hurt their few roots when inserting it in the soil. In fact, when unsure you can lift the small pots and "feel" the weight: lighter means soil is dryer=do water, heavier means soil is moist=don't water yet. For the rest, a moisture meter is nice to prevent drawning plants... I had learned it that way!

Another little recommendation: sometimes it's handy to divide same type of seedlings into two or even three groups, lets say middle and both ends of your balcony. This is something like the "backup" I mentioned before, in case (hope not!) a storm, or a too hot sunny day, or any unwanted insect, you'll have your replacement/s ready to work. I don't mean you should try to grow a lot of melon plants in a balcony!

... Just thinking out loud: could it be an option to secure the vines to the trellis in a "zig-zag" way, in order to gain space, in case they end up getting too long?...

greetings,
    Carol

• urbangardener73
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank You anney and carol, really appreciate the info.
    Will get to do all those :)
    Yes, must do backups just like computers.

Very excited here, really can't wait to see my first melon flower.

As I mentioned I get the seeds from a business trip to India, after consuming the melon, so I do not want to lose them.
    These melons tasted much like honeydew (there are green fresh as compare to the article white fresh), but more fragrance as mentioned in anney article and their size I think are perfect for containers.
    So Wish me luck.

Regards,
    Urban Gardener

• urbangardener73
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Any side dressing for melons and what is the best timing to do that?

Thank You.

Regards,
    Urban Gardener