Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eetrey

Tomatillos

Eetrey
12 years ago

I noticed that not much has been written on the issue of growing tomatillos in containers, and after growing some from seed this March, I now know why. I grew four tomatillo plants, but only three survived past transplanting. The one that did not survive broke at the main stem due to insufficient lateral support. I thought that this was an isolated incident perhaps due to improper light levels leading to a leggy plant. Then this month my more robust and almost tree trunk looking plant had its fruit bearing stems break off due to the weight of so many tomatillos.

The bottom line, cage tomatillo plants in containers and guide the stems with twine. The plant will try to expand laterally. Do not let this happen. Instead guide them so that they grow vertically. I have been doing this for about three weeks now with good results, my tasty salsas can prove it. Oh, and before I forget, I grew these bad boys in five gallon containers. I water kinda often, so maybe next season I will use 15 gallon containers. I would like to know if anyone else has given this a try.

Comments (11)

• organic_wonderful
    12 years ago

I'll let you know as I've got quite a few tomatillo seedlings on the go. I can't to try them as it's my frst time growng them (or much of anything else for that matter).

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

I grew three tomatillos in a 20 gallon smart pot (fabric aeration container). I used one 8 foot by 1 inch stake for each one. They grew faster than my tomatoes in the same size containers. Like you said, they had numerous lateral branches. But I didn't prune most of them. I tried to tie the biggest ones to the stakes. Some broke off, but most were fine. I was stunned at the huge yield. I definitely would plant no more than one plant per 15 to 20 gallon container if I did it again.

• organic_wonderful
    12 years ago

15 gallons seems very excessive.

• Eetrey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well,what size would you recommend organic_wonderful?

• patnmoe
    11 years ago

My seedlings grew to be very leggy and it is windy. Caging and staking seems to be in order. This is my first time to grow yellow and purple tomatillos. Any hints please?

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

Just what the original poster said. Use a big container, stake or cage, and support lateral limbs so the fruits don't cause them to break off. They need conditions similar to tomatoes. With three in a 20-gallon pot, I was watering heavily every two or three days. I don't remember any pests or diseases causing problems. My main problem was that they were as prolific as zucchinis. I could have made enough salsa to feed an army. The ones I grew were toma verdes and my soil mix was three parts MetroMix to one part compost.

• uaskigyrl
    10 years ago

Hi! I just came across this thread. My friend just gave me a 20 gallon pot and I wanted to grow tomatillos, I know that you need more than one tomatillo in order to get fruit so they can cross terminate. I was hoping I could put 3 or 4 plants in that large container? I'm guessing this will be ok?

• uaskigyrl
    7 years ago

Hi Susan! I did not know they are indeterminate. Do they vine on their own or do you tie them to a trellis?

• miscel
    7 years ago

Susan - 1 tomatillo plant is okay? I read that you need 2 plants for pollination. Is that not true?

• nancyjane_gardener
    7 years ago

Susan, I'm with you. My first year trying I grew one and got nothing. The next year I grew 2 and was overwhelmed! Nancy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting