Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flying bugs

Posted by cghpnd 7 / Virginia (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 11:03

Hi! I have been trying to find the answer for a few days with regular internet searching. No luck. So I have a poppy plant, it says papaver under poppy on the tag. And salvia. They both have little flying bugs on them. It seems as if theyare only on the top layer of soil and they scatter when I water them. I have about 30 plants out side all in containers as well but they are never on them. I dont understand. I asked someone at a nursery and they said because they are in containers, but thats kinda wrong bc they other plants which have been in containers longer dont have them. Any idea on what it is? They didn't have the bugs when I bought them.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flying bugs

fungus gnats maybe?

o

White flies? They tend to scattered about when the plant is disturbed. Big problem where I live. Neem oil was recommended to control them.

o

In my experience, white flies would be on the foliage rather than soil. Fungus gnats seem more likely given the OP's description. They're generally a nuisance but not a problem for the plants. You can make life a bit harder for them by letting the top layer of soil dry between waterings. Are you caring for these pots any differently than the others you mentioned? More water? Different fertilizer? Different potting media? More shade?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungus Gnats as Houseplant and Indoor Pests

o

Are there a ton of them, and are they white and itty itty bitty? If so they could be springtails...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here