Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planning my container garden

Posted by haricot.vert France (Zone 8) (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 11:06

I'm trying to bring a little cheer to the windows of my apartment and would like some advice/opinions. We're in Paris (France), so the equivalent of zone 8. The windows I would like to place the containers at are in the shade the majority of the day but facing a fairly bright courtyard. We're also planning on bringing the containers indoors for the winter.

I've zeroed in on what I'd liked to plant based on the above conditions but I'm wondering if these plants will all work together in the same container. Here's the list of contenders based on what's available in my area:

Coleus 'combat'

Heuchera 'obsidian'

Heuchera 'electra'

Creeping jenny 'goldilocks'

Double impatiens musica 'pink aroma'

Would these plants work ok for the conditions I mentioned? Am I being too ambitious putting this many varieties of plants in a container? Could these guys live in harmony together? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planning my container garden

I definitely think those plants could grow together in a container in bright shade and dappled sunlight. The only limiting factor would be how big the containers are. I routinely grow 3-5 annual flowering and foliage plants together in hanging baskets that hold about 4-6 liters of potting mix. You need good drainage and regular fertilizing to grow that intensively. I would go for something fairly wide and at least 8 inches (20 cm) deep. I am not sure they would last more than one season though. I've never had luck growing any of those indoors in less than full sun even though they handle bright shade well outdoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here