Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunar_owl

Are these truly pine bark fines?

lunar_owl
9 years ago

I do not remember the brand name but they say "Pine Bark Fines", ingredients 100% forest product, and came in a 1.5 cubic feet bags at the Lowes by me.

They are a lot different then same of the other products I've seen suggest for use as "pine bark fines" so I am wondering if they are really pine bark fines or its another case of mislabeling.

Comments (7)

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

That looks to be dirt/soil... Definitely not pine bark

Jay

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Do you still have the bag with the label? If it actually said pine bark fines, that is what it should contain. But, no one else on this forum has reported being able to buy a product labelled PBF at Lowes in any of the hundreds of posts I've read over the past few years here. Forest product is not the same as PBF. It looks like overly composted bark to me. I don't think it's dirt or soil, although it may contain some of that if it's forest product. I would keep looking if I were you.

• the_yard_guy
    9 years ago

I'm looking at this photo but it's hard to tell exactly what it is. The material looks very wet and heavily composted. The term "forest products" could be literally anything. Dirt, sapwood, bark, etc.

Personally I think I would look for something else. If this is your only option you could try it but no telling what this material really is. If you find actual pine bark, you will know it.

I'm attaching a photo of unscreened pine bark, directly out of a bag I used recently.

Hope that helps.

TYG

• seysonn
    9 years ago

To me, pine bark fine should look like pine bark in color and texture. What you have appears to be some kind of compost with some chunky stuff in it.

• lunar_owl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Weird, I got Seysonn reply on May 30 and jutsFL today. :-/

This is the bag that caused my confusion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes Website calls the brand

• lunar_owl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I use Agway's Pine Bark Mulch when I want a mix that drains really good but it takes me awhile to screen it - I keep stopping to try and pick out all the sapwood :-/

The one from Lowes is smaller so I haven't bothered to screen it - I have a tomato in it who seems to be doing better than the one I have in a mix with Agway's Mulch.

And this is how the stuff from Lowes looks dried out some:

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Very interesting. The photo of the stuff on the Lowes website looks just about perfect. And the label is just as you say. But the photo you showed and the one reviewer's comment suggest it looks more like dirt. So it is very composted. That's not really a major problem, though. I think I would use it if I couldn't find anything better. But if you do, leave out the peat and maybe double the perlite.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH