Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Osmocote Plus for 5-1-1 mix substitute

Posted by habe none (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 11:12

First off, greets to all on my first post.....

I'm getting ready to mix up my first batch of 5-1-1 mix for container gardening this weekend. Osmocote Plus seems to be the go-to product but, since it was discontinued, I can't locate any left over product in the 4.5# container. 50# bags seem plentiful on the net but, it would be way more than I would need and likely it would go bad before I could ever use that amount.

1. Is there another slow release product that would be recommended in it's place to get the mix started? Slo-release substitutions I've seen available are non-Plus Osmocote, Miracle Gro, etc.......

2. I also plan on supplement feeding with Foliage Pro but, it won't be delivered for a week or so. Would using some other slow release fertilizer (to get the mix started) + Foliage Pro create an over feeding situation?

Thanks,

habe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Osmocote Plus for 5-1-1 mix substitute

You might want to consider one of the Dynamite controlled release fertilizers (CRF). I've linked to their website below. I think Home Depot stocks some of their products, but I'm not sure which ones.

As to your second question, experienced growers here in the Container forum often recommend combining a CRF with a soluble fertilizer like Foliage-Pro. The most often cited application rate is 1 tbsp of CRF per gallon of potting mix (ideally, this is incorporated prior to planting) plus a weak dose of soluble fertilizer at each watering (for Foliage Pro, that would be 1/4 tsp per gallon).

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite Plant Food

o

I use MG Shake and Feed as a CRF for my containers. Walmart has it. And like shazamm said, 1 tablespoon per gallon of mix. I feed with MG liquid with every watering at 1/4 strength.

o

• Posted by habe none (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 19:55

Shazaam and Ed, thanks! That answers my questions.

o

Anyone try the MG organic slow release fertilizer? I've had good results with it. The Shake and Feed Tomatoes was only available here in Montreal last year. I liked it too.
Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here