Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised vegetable bed questions - newbie

Posted by pcwest256 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 11:34

I am a new homeowner and gardener and am considering creating a raised gardenbed with about 10 inches of new organic soil next to an existing Camelia tree.

How much space should I put between the bed and the point where the Camelia bark enters the ground. I don't want to stifle the Camelia roots of air and also water (i.e., when it rains or when I water the raised bed, water may no longer be getting to some of the Camelia roots through that 10 inches of new soil).

Also, is 10 inches of soil in the raised bed too much? I am a little worried about the quality of the soil underneath and potential lead so I want to keep the garden well above the soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised vegetable bed questions - newbie

You generally don't want to bury a tree or shrub ... so I'd think you'd want to be a few feet away at least. 3 plus?

If you want to feed your camellia, you might just start mulching it with compost, periodically.

I googled for a link .. would you believe Mulching Camellias from The American Camellia Society? ;-). Can't get much better than that.

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Thu, May 15, 14 at 12:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here