Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini Rose in Gritty Mix? What to plant?

Posted by tropical_thought San Francisco (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 11:44

I wanted to keep roses in pots. I have created Al's Gritty Mix, but everyone says roses are too big for pots, but what about those mini roses? I see them at grocery stores around this time of year. I got some mini roses once, but the died right away. I think they would like good drainage. Has anyone tried a mini rose?

What are some other suggestions for containers for the gritty mix? Ideally, I would not have to move them around much and the pots could be like garden accents. I have a number of pots waiting for plants. Of course, I have to get more of the ingredients first on ebay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of gritty mix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini Rose in Gritty Mix? What to plant?

I have a Hot Tamale ("miniature" - 18" to 30" - http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1900 ) in the gritty mix and it is performing quite well. It overwintered indoors and is at least 30" and still pushing new growth.

Last year I grew productive tomatoes and peppers in the gritty mix as well. You can grow anything you want in the gritty mix. It all depends on how often you're willing to fertigate to keep the plants alive. If you used granite as your ballast then you could certainly put a full sized rose in a 16" pot without fear of it blowing over. Then the trick is to keep it watered.

You should think of the gritty mix as manual hydroponics with a buffer. The Turface/Axis might give you a day, or maybe 3-5 days depending on the plant, weather, and the size of the pot. My large citrus trees will wilt in the summer heat (say 90+ in full sun) without twice a day watering in the gritty mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here