Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 gal. pails OK for San Marzano Tomatoes & Al's 5-1-1 mixture?

Posted by recoil_rob 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 12:04

Having limited ground space this year we're considering growing a crop of Sam Marzano tomatoes in containers.

Would we be doing well by putting each plant in it's own 5gal. bucket, using Al's 5-1-1 mixture? Is 5 gal. large enough?

I used Al's other mixture when repotting my fig trees last year and they are doing very well!

thanks, Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 gal. pails OK for San Marzano Tomatoes & Al's 5-1-1 mixture

You'll probably get a lot of opinions on this. I'm growing tomatoes in containers this year for the first time. I'm trying several sizes from 5-22gal. I've seen photos of great plants in 5gal, and a lot of suggestions that bigger pots are better, which I kind of agree with. The best arguement for 5 gal containers is that maybe they won't grow huge and produce tons of tomatoes, but not everybody wants that. Smaller plants and fewer toms are just fine with some. This is my general opinion. I don't know anything about the size of San Marzano plants specifically. If it's a smallish plant it might do ok.

o
RE: 5 gal. pails OK for San Marzano Tomatoes & Al's 5-1-1 mixture

I don't think 5 gallons is large enough for San Marzanos. The three I grew in a 25 gallon container were well over 7 feet tall. I would advise you to use pots that are at least 10-15 gallons (one plant only per pot) or choose a smaller bush type dwarf tomato for anything smaller. In my pot I had to water every day when the plants were full size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here