Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can be done with the container soil after green peas growing

Posted by loori 6 (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 12:04

Two years ago I planted and grew green peas in the container on my balcony. After this single attempt to grow green peas on the balcony I gave up the idea of growing peas on the balcony as the harvest was very small. The soil in the container experienced two cold winters on the balcony and now I wonder what I can plant into this soil. Can I plant strawberries in this soil or any flowers or this soil should be discarded?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can be done with the container soil after green peas gro

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 6, 11 at 15:44

Loori - do you have a lot of containers to fill, or is it just this one we're considering what to do about?

Al

o

" Can I plant strawberries in this soil or any flowers or this soil should be discarded?"
I would not discard any non infected soil. Re-till the surface and re-plant.

o

I am speaking about one container with the soil after green peas growing 2 years ago. I want to plant wild strawberries in the containers on my balcony. Actually I have two containers with soil- one big container is with the soil after green peas planting two years ago, another smaller container with fresh soil for flowers planting.
Can I plant wild straberries in both containers? Most of all I want to know what to do with the soil in the big container after green peas? Is it enough to loosen the soil and to plant wild strawberries?

o

The unanswered question, is what did you start with? If you used a peat based bag of potting mix from the garden center, the mix by now, is no longer able to support enough air in the mix. I would start over with a new batch, hopefully based on Al's 5-1-1 recipe. Al

o

I would at least add it to your in-ground garden. Feels like a waste to discard as much medium after growing in it once, even if it is too broken down to be in a container.

o

So you advise to add once used soil to some in-ground garden which I don't have, all i have is the containers on my balcony. You also say that if the soil was used for growing only once then I shouldn't discard it. Actually what I want to learn is what is going to happen with wild strawberries plants if I plant them into the soil used 2 years ago for green peas growing. Shall I try or wild strawberries might have some difficulties in such a soil?

o

Sat, May 7, 11 at 12:02

Loori - Al is angling toward the same thing I am - a probable total collapse of what you have now, which means that even if you 'loosen' the soil, it will compact again soon after you start watering, which is a decidedly bad thing for wild strawberries that most often grow in very sandy soils that drain extremely fast. Strawberries don't like wet feet, so I'm afraid you'd be disappointed in your results.

You could probably enjoy good success if you were to invest a few $ in some pine bark fines and a little perlite, and mix about 1 part of your old soil with 1 part of perlite & 5 or more parts of pine bark, along with a little lime. You'd end up with a free-draining mix that looks like what you see in the middle of this picture:
Photobucket

The bark at 3,6 and 9 give you an idea of what to look for if you're interested.

Good luck!

Al (the other Al) ;-)

o

I have the container that is 75 cm long, 31 cm high, 29 cm deep filled with soil. You advise to mix some pine bark fines and a little perlite with my old soil. How much pine bark and perlite do I need for the soil in the container of the size given above?
I think that the roots of green pea plants are left in the soil, though 2 winters have passed since that time. Could these roots cause any problem to the wild strawberry plants?

o

Sat, May 7, 11 at 22:03

It will take about 15 dry gallons to fill the pot (2 cu ft). If you follow the 5:1:1 ratio of pine bark:your old soil:perlite, you would need about 11 gallons of bark (there are about 15 gallons in a 2 cu ft bag), about 2 gallons of your old soil, and 2 gallons of perlite, plus about 3/4 cup of dolomitic (garden) lime.

AL

o

In the soil bought there are some white particles. I think it is perlite, in the soil used 2 years ago there were and there are the same white parciles, so it means that the soil is with perlite and if it is with perlite then I shouldn't add anything to it. Am I right? And what about the green peas roots which have been staying in the soil for 2 winters, have they rotten and become a part of the soil?

o

From reading your posts I have the impression that you think your soil has remained static since you removed your sweet peas. Whether you are growing in it or not, it is still composting, or breaking down the organic ingredients, including the dead roots. Al

o

So I think I can start planting wild strawberry seedlings into this soil without any great reworking of the soil.

o

I visited local gardening store, explained the shop-assistant what I am going to do- to plant wild strawberry seedlings into the soil initially meant for flowers but which PH is suitable for wild straberries.The soil characteristics are as follows: the main part fairly loose peat, the rest part are cut up limestone, pebble, Ph 5,5-6,5, the added fertilizer 2,0 kg/m3 NPK feltilizer.
Then I asked her about the necessity to add regular fertilizer, as I read before that wild strawberries can grow without any fertilizer. The shop-assistant advised me to add into the soil Natural fertilizer on the basis of worms in the proportion 1:3. And as if this worm based fertilizer will be enough for on avarege 3 years of wild strawberries productive growth period.I want to know if she is right or may be it is not necessary at all to add any fertilizer to the soil?
Could you answer this question and give some recommendation on the fertilizing and illnesses prevention medium to get a good yield of wild straberries!?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here