Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to harden off container plants in June?

Posted by organic_wonderful South east UK (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 12:17

I was just wondering, if I have tomatoes, aubergines, peppers etc. do I need to actually put them in a cold frame for two weeks before they're moved outdoors, to harden them off? I live in Kent, the south east of the UK. If I could just move them straight outdoors it would be SO much more convenient.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to harden off container plants in June?

did you start them from seed? if you did then they need to be harden off. if they are not harden off they burn under the cold frame.

o

^ I was going to harden them off WITH the cold frame. Why do you say they will burn under the cold frame? I'm confused as I thought a cold frame was meant for hardening off plants.

o

I don't think you need to use a cold frame unless you expect temperatures below 50F (10C ?). You just need to give them a gradual exposure to sunlight. In USDA zone 5, I give mine a few days in bright shade, then a few days in morning sun only and then pop them into the garden on an overcast/rainy day, or late on a sunny day if that's all we have. My eggplants and peppers have been outside for five days, and I plan to put them in their final containers tomorrow.

o

the glass or plastic will magnify the sun. never used one but i guess if it is left open it would work. hardening off takes a week or more a little at a time.

o
RE: Do I need to harden off conxxstainer plants in June?

But all the plants were started off in my greenhouse (which is getting stupidly overcrowded now) and have been getting quite a lot of sunlight. Does this mean I can just move them straight outside in June?

o

they will still need some harding off nothing compares with the sun and wind. what is your greenhouse covering glass?

o

^ uPVC and the roof is polycarbonate. I guess a week in the coldframe would do? Is this right?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here