Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerryventura2

Peat in 5-1-1 why? Geopots and cages

I use gritty mix for everything, it's great, but I decided to plant a couple tomatoes in geopots and try a 5-1-1 mix, so I did. So what is the reason for the peat? Seems like it's just barely coating anything in that ratio, is it really doing something? Unless someone has a good reason, or those tomatoes shoot up like Jack and the Beanstalk, I think I'll stick to my gritty mixes.

On a side note, someone once said they were having trouble anchoring their tomato cages on cement. Well if you use Geopots you can zip tie the cage to the handles, the weight of the bag holds it in place.

Jerry

Comments (6)

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

For what it's worth, the Mississippi State University "Greenhouse Tomato Handbook" says that you can grow tomatoes in straight pine bark, if you use drip irrigation, and "In pine bark, 6 to 12 waterings per day are usually adequate."

They are doing small waterings, totaling 2-3 quarts per adult plant.

This is a different approach than the typical 5-1-1 "flush watering" cycle, of course.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Handbook (PDF)

• JerryVentura Jordan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks like they are talking hydroponics, not what I'm into at the moment. Although the Growstone I use in my mix is used for hydro.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

Actually, they are no more hyrdoponic than 5-1-1. In fact, they both practice "fertigation" and the view that medium is just medium.

I am more an organic/premie leaner myself, which is why I do put compost into my mix. Heck, I am even doing a more old time mix this year, with maybe 60+ percent woody compost, 20- percent soil, and 20- percent sand.

I find that this too works with drip irrigation and frequent/small watering.

[I'll add a pic, so you know I'm not talking out of my bottom]

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Thu, May 22, 14 at 16:38

• seysonn
    9 years ago

John, Your Cherry looks awesome.

About peat in 5-1-1.

It serves as moisture retention element.
    The amount of it will depend on the structure of the bark used : i.e. if the bark is on the coarse side, need to add more peat M. It also can serve as an anchoring structure. My imagination is that fine roots can anchor better to smaller particles than say chunky bark pieces.
    Also, the chunkier bark portion will reduce capillary action and thus lowering the Perch Water Table . So the whole idea is to keep moisture retention and drainage in balance.

BTW: I have close to 20 container (mostly peppers) this year that I have filled with 5-1-1 mix.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Yes, the peat will not only help "bind" the ingredients and increase moisture retention, it will also help even out the moisture for more consistent wetting and drying. Without peat, peat-based mix, compost, or another evening ingredient, there is a tendency for the upper layer of the bark and perlite to dry out rapidly, while the lower layer of bark remains sodden.

Josh

• JerryVentura Jordan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input, makes sense. I'm actually phasing out perlite, only one container has it, I'm using Growstone now instead, using it in place of Turface also, it's a better size and I have much less waste.

Can't wait to see how this 5-1-1 works out, like I said I use gritty for everything and I couldn't be more happy.

Jerry

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths