Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mistake in mixing 5-1-1

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 12:31

I wasn't paying attention and mixed together turface and perlite for the 5-1-1 mix. Stopped there. I have the reptibark and sphagnum moss but I didn't want to compound my mistake.

I don't care if I make a gritty or more organic mix, I'd just like to be able to use what I put together.

Also the sphagnum I bought is 'real sphagnum' and some pieces are 2 inches long. Can I just roughly tear these apart, or leave as is for the mix?

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mistake in mixing 5-1-1

You definitely want the peat dispersed as evenly as possible for even moisture and drainage. As for the turface/perlite, I think you can just use the same 1 part of your mixture without any problems, since perlite and turface are interchangeable in the 5-1-1 mix. Hopefully someone more experienced can confirm this.

o

With the turface and perlite, you might be able to eliminate the peat in this batch.

Turface holds much more moisture than perlite. Turface holds moisture internally, whereas
perlite hold moisture in external or surface pores.

Josh

o

Also wanted to add that Phil is correct. Chop that sphagnum into fine particulate.

Josh

o

This "as is from the bogs of Canada" sphagnum was expensive! Never mind. What is the correct sphagnum to buy (if this ever runs out)

Still not sure whether there is consensus on rehabilitating the mix.
mt

o

You can use the perlite and turface in 5-1-1 if you cut back on the sphagnum peat a little. Your mix will be more water retentive, but you'll just need to be a little more careful about watering. But I don't think you should use the sphagnum moss at all. Sphagnum peat has completely different properties. It is usually dark brown and comes in big compressed bales. It's almost powdery. Long fiber sphagnum moss is sometimes used in orchid mixes, but I don't think it is suitable in regular potting mixes.

o

Thanks.....that info on the long fiber sphagnum moss is disappointing.
Marie

o
more comments?

I wanted to bump this up and see if anyone else has comments.
Thanks,
Marie

o

Marie,

It's already been a few weeks but since you were looking for more input and didn't receive a reply... I did the same thing once on accident. I did as Josh stated above: I reduced the amount of peat proportionally (basically I substituted turface for peat) in that "scoop". However, I did do a complete 5-1-1 of bark, turface, perlite. In the end, I added more peat and perlite, so it was more like 5-(1/2&1/2)-(1/2&1/2). Make sense? It worked fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here