Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_dusty

My Sweet Banana Peppers are turning RED!

organic_dusty
14 years ago

I'm really happy about my banana peppers! This is my first year growing them... I hope they keep going now that it is turning hot and humid here.

{{gwi:28548}}

{{gwi:28549}}

Thanks for looking! My other pictures are on photobucket at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My container garden photos

Comments (13)

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

Nice! I usually pick mine while yellow, are they sweeter red?

• bdobs
    14 years ago

Lookin nice!! I love sweet Banana peps.

Justaguy
    Yes, they are sweeter when ripe=red :)

• earthworm73
    14 years ago

Wow great photos of your yummy looking peppers. What camera are ya using?

Larrick

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much:) It is a Nikon Cool pix 990. Feel free to check out all of my pictures on Photo Bucket:)

Dusty

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, it just keeps getting redder! I guess it is time to eat it!

{{gwi:28550}}

• ndgrower
    14 years ago

Just have a couple age questions, how old are the plants, and how long did it take from flowers to these pics when they are red. Thanks in advance

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I purchased the plant from Home Depot in a 3 gallon container and it had a few peppers on it and many flowers on April 2nd. The plant has more than doubled its size with aprox. 18 peppers or so on it and more flowers and baby peppers. 4 peppers turned bright red and several others are starting to. I would guess this plant is 3 months old or more. We picked some today and pickled them with a sliced mammoth jalapeno and regular jalapeno. Some of these peppers measured 7 inches or more in length. We will find out how they taste in a couple weeks. I have used several yellow banana peppers in my salsa. Very good tasting so hope the pickled ones are to die for.

• rachel597
    14 years ago

How beautiful!! Your plants look really healthy too!
    Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: GrafixMuse's Garden Spot

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One more picture... here is the finished product...

{{gwi:28551}}

MY FIRST EVER, homegrown, home canned, pickled peppers! Banana peppers, mammoth jalapenos, regular jalapenos, garlic and dill. I'll let you know how they taste in a few weeks! Thanks for all your support!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Ooooo...very nice lookin' peppers! :)

• mousekabob
    14 years ago

Organic dusty, gonna post the recipe for those pickled peppers? They look WONDERFUL.

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the recipe that I got from Rita Heikenfeld if you go on the web you can see her video.
    Pickled peppers
    I donÂt have to tell you that these are the best and easiest pickled peppers you'll ever eat. And if you grow peppers, you know how abundant they are this time of year. Now I usually don't add 2 cups sugar; I'll start out with half a cup, taste the brine, and go from there. If you have extremely hot peppers, though, the 2 cups of sugar is not too much. My sister, Christine, makes a version of these pickles and uses no sugar at all.
    Sterilizing Jars:
    Wash jars and lids, then place in big pan, covered with water. Bring to a boil and boil 15 minutes. Keep in hot water until you're ready to fill them. Meanwhile, make brine and prepare peppers:
    Brine:
    6 cups clear vinegar, 5% acidity
    2 cups water
    1/2 to 2 cups sugar (see note above)*
    Place brine ingredients in non-reactive pan (that means either stainless, enameled or anodized aluminum, not the old fashioned aluminum pans). Bring to a boil.
    To Prepare Peppers:
    Wash. Leave whole with a slit down the center, or cut into slices as desired. I like to remove seeds if I slice them, but this is optional. Remember the membrane that the seeds are attached to is the hottest part of the pepper, and the seeds are the second hottest part. Place peppers in sterilized, hot jars, packing tightly. Pour boiling brine over, covering peppers. Add seasonings, such as garlic, bay leaf, slices of sweet bell, herbs, etc. as desired, or leave plain. Seal and let cool away from drafts. Store away from heat and light. No need to process these as the vinegar, if you use 5%, keeps bacteria out. That's all there is to this wonderful pickled pepper recipe. Making your own is so easy and much more crisp and tasty than the store-bought variety. Chill in refrigerator before serving

To make just the 2 small jars I used only 3 cups of vinegar, 1 cup water and 1/2 cup of natural cane sugar. I added garlic and fresh dill. It was just the perfect amount.

• gurlnovice
    14 years ago

Love it. Me and my daughter will be trying this recipe today.