Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bitzppa

Pine Bark

bitzppa
10 years ago

Hi everyone

was just wondering if anyone has brought pine bark and some how made it smaller in some fashion by crushing it etc, and if you have how did you do it ?

thanks for the help

BZ

Comments (8)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

One forum member piled his in the driveway and drove over the pile with a mulching lawn mower (the riding type, I think), and I seem to recall that it was somewhat efficient. Others have used actual chipping/mulching machines, old blenders, and hammers! Lots of work.

Josh

• bitzppa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks greenman

you are right lots of work.

I recon the blender sounds like the best idea so far, anyone else got some ideas ?

thanks for the help

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I've always wanted to drive back and forth over a pile of pine bark nuggets with my SUV and see what happens.

• bitzppa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got the blower vac out that mulches and this is what it looked like before with a Australian ten cent coin 23.6mm, bark is good about 1% wood but too big I think. looks better to me now dust to 8 to 10mm , 1st go at this so thanks to Al and the rest of you guys and gals for the great info, I am heading for winter, no frost here in winter but does it to 4 degrees celsius am going to try for some tomatoes in a small hot house and some other cool veggies so its all an experiment , but I have read a lot and I have info so a informed experiment.

{{gwi:28564}}

after, below I am growing veggies so 5.1.1 mix I have to adapt to my conditions and media on hand so its close but we don't have turface that I know of so I went with this stuff see link below photo. spag is like as dear as gold here so no can do so am going to try the attapulgite. see what happens. only one real way to find out suck it and see.

{{gwi:28566}}

http://www.clays.org/journal/archive/volume%2010/10-1-284.pdf

• bitzppa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can buy fine stuff I might add and its cheaper with about 10 % maybe 15 % max any one want to add anything like go for the cheaper stuff with more wood or keep going with what I am doing the bark with 1% wood that I have to blower vac is like 3 times more expensive but, so not sure what route to take after I use what I have already.

any thoughts ?

SUV might work steam roller would be good :)

• bitzppa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

10 % maybe 15 % wood I meant crap not being able to edit and I am thinking about getting back out there to mulch :)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Yeah, I heard those mulching blower vacs do a good job. Looks like you made good progress. The stuff in the photo looks usable.

• bitzppa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kool thanks edweather it helps to know I am on the right track.

I have planted some stuff in the stuff in the top photo and its growing so will see how that goes, but the bottom photo looks good and hope I can get some kick butt winter veggies going in it :)

thanks for the feedback :)