Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fernsk

trailing tomato for small container

fernsk
16 years ago

HI - I would like to plant 2 small containers that are attached to my fence with a tomato plant that would trail the vines - to try to use vertical space in my tiny back yard. The containers are maybe a gallon but not more. Help please.... also would I be "pushing the envelope" to try to include an herb or something with the tomato

Fern

Comments (5)

• averagejoetx
    16 years ago

Fern - To be honest, I think a 1 gal container would be too small for tomatoes. Once upon a time long ago, I grew Romas in 5 gal buckets on my patio, and that was pushing it....lol

If you still want to try it, I would look for varieties labeled for use in patio gardens, though you may not get the vining habit you want (you want them to vine up the fence, right?). But, be advised that they will become root-bound, and you will be watering very frequently. I can't think of any off the top of my head right now, but maybe someone else will have a better suggestion...

Good luck!

--Joe

• fernsk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Joe

I actually want the tomatoes to trail down from the containers on the 6 ft. fence. I saw some tomatoes in hanging 1 gal baskets - called tumblers I think but I don't have anywhere to hang baskets and the hanging baskets were the only source for the tumblers - at least that I saw at the garden centre. There were 2 or 3 plants in each plastic basket and they were already loaded with cherry tomatos so I didn't think that they would survive a transplanting.

Fern

• averagejoetx
    16 years ago

Fern,

You post prompted me to do a bit more digging, and lo and behold I found a website that lists several small varieties that just may be what you're looking for! I seem to recall seeing the same thing you mentioned at the store a while back. Cherry tomatoes growing in one of those coconut hair looking container baskets. Anyway, the website also sells seeds for the listed varieties, so I hope you find what you're looking for. (for pictures, you might want to do a google image search for those varieties.)

Hope this helps!

--Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Tomatoes for Small Containers

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

Nothing says you have to use a hanging basket to hang. I have many custoners that buy hangers and transplant them or just take of the hanger and enjoy it as a pot plant. If you have time to seed a tomato go for it or just pick up one already producing. It all depends on what your goals, pocketbook and need to seed is all about. What ever you choose,enjoy and Happy Growing David

• fernsk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the advice - I am going to take the list of small plant varieties and see what we have at the garden centres: especially that Red Robin variety

My next question will likely be along the lines of how to keep the little fellows happy in the planter - ie. fertilizer, lots of water and best growing medium

Fern

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living