Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

where to buy crushed granite

lycheeluva
15 years ago

Where do you guys buy crushed granite from (for Al's container mix) and what size particles am I looking for?

Comments (10)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Usually elevators or farm/feed stores that cater to the country folk who grow chickens & turkeys. I forgot (perhaps I never knew) where you live - some parts of the country use crushed shellfish shells as chicken/turkey grit & it's generally not appropriate in soils.

Al

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I live in NYC! Plenty of folks growing chickens here! whats an elevator? ( i assume you dont mean the device in office buildings to take you up the floors). also what size should the crushed granite be. dont have any chicken feed stores around here but plenty of places that make granite kitchen counter tops. maybe they have granite leftovers that may be suitable?

15 years ago

An elevator is a place that grain is stored, (grain elevator) but they usually cater to the rural folks by selling farm animal feeds, fertilizers, & other goods used by ruralites, which often includes chicken and turkey grit in the form of crushed granite. Skip the kitchen counter top idea - it's a dead end.

See crushed granite at the right and Turface at the left. Disregard what you see at the top - it's soil from my raised beds & inappropriate for containers.
    {{gwi:4343}}

Al

• tanyag
    15 years ago

You can also find decomposing granite at Home Depot. You will have to spend a while sifting it to get the right particle sizes. There will be big pieces (generally not the size you need) all the way to fine sand. I would think 2mm would be the smallest size you'd want to use. I rinse it in a strainer before I use it as a lot of the dust in the bag settles on all the pieces.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

how about this ebay seller (see link below). he is selling 200 pounds for $150 including delivery. is that a reasonable price and which sized particle should i buy- he sells various different sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite

15 years ago

That's extremely expensive, and the shipping will be very expensive on top of it. I paid $8 for the last 50 lb bags I bought from a farm supply store. You can use a little perlite in its place, or very coarse swimming pool filter sand, or very coarse silica sand from a masonry supply business (not the big box stores). The particles should be from 1/16 - 3/16" in size with the bulk of the particles between 1/16 - 1/8". The chicken/turkey grit is perfect and is pre-screened. If you really cant find it, leave it out & up the Turface a little & add the perlite,

Al

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

When looking for farm oriented rural stores that might carry the granite or turkey grit, look in your local Yellow Pages under feed dealers, farm equipment or livestock feed and grain dealers. If you're a city dweller, you'll probably have to go a bit outside city limits to find what you need.

Some feed dealers will order things that they don't normally carry, so it might be a good idea to ask if they don't already carry the item.

• reeckeeabraham_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Available Crushed Granite from our mines in Sulawesi Indonesia.
    Sized 0 to 50mm ; Ready stock of 50,000 mt ; Reserves estimated at over 50 million MT ; Prices from $28USD/MT FOB Barge ; CFR/CIF incoterms available upon request
    Please send the LOI to Mr. Ricky Abraham, Indonesia ; email reeckeeabraham@gmail.com

• phongdor
    12 years ago

I've been calling and looking all over the Bay Area here in Northern California with no luck. It seems since this is a coastal region, chicken/turkey grit has crushed oyster shells. Landscaping suppliers and rockeries only have 1/4' crushed granite. From the 1/4' I've seen less than a 10% yield of 1/8' after sifting...granite is heavy :(.

Al, what would you suggest as a ratio for substituting silica sand? I have perlite but I don't prefer it

Turface, Crushed Granite, Silica Sand

Here is a link that might be useful: MSDS for the silica sand

• phongdor
    12 years ago

proper picture link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Turface, Crushed Granite, Silica Sand