Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy crushed granite

Posted by lycheeluva 6/7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 12:54

Where do you guys buy crushed granite from (for Al's container mix) and what size particles am I looking for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy crushed granite

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 21, 08 at 15:29

Usually elevators or farm/feed stores that cater to the country folk who grow chickens & turkeys. I forgot (perhaps I never knew) where you live - some parts of the country use crushed shellfish shells as chicken/turkey grit & it's generally not appropriate in soils.

Al

o

I live in NYC! Plenty of folks growing chickens here! whats an elevator? ( i assume you dont mean the device in office buildings to take you up the floors). also what size should the crushed granite be. dont have any chicken feed stores around here but plenty of places that make granite kitchen counter tops. maybe they have granite leftovers that may be suitable?

o

Wed, May 21, 08 at 20:26

An elevator is a place that grain is stored, (grain elevator) but they usually cater to the rural folks by selling farm animal feeds, fertilizers, & other goods used by ruralites, which often includes chicken and turkey grit in the form of crushed granite. Skip the kitchen counter top idea - it's a dead end.

See crushed granite at the right and Turface at the left. Disregard what you see at the top - it's soil from my raised beds & inappropriate for containers.

Al

o

You can also find decomposing granite at Home Depot. You will have to spend a while sifting it to get the right particle sizes. There will be big pieces (generally not the size you need) all the way to fine sand. I would think 2mm would be the smallest size you'd want to use. I rinse it in a strainer before I use it as a lot of the dust in the bag settles on all the pieces.

o

how about this ebay seller (see link below). he is selling 200 pounds for $150 including delivery. is that a reasonable price and which sized particle should i buy- he sells various different sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite

o

Thu, May 22, 08 at 7:34

That's extremely expensive, and the shipping will be very expensive on top of it. I paid $8 for the last 50 lb bags I bought from a farm supply store. You can use a little perlite in its place, or very coarse swimming pool filter sand, or very coarse silica sand from a masonry supply business (not the big box stores). The particles should be from 1/16 - 3/16" in size with the bulk of the particles between 1/16 - 1/8". The chicken/turkey grit is perfect and is pre-screened. If you really cant find it, leave it out & up the Turface a little & add the perlite,

Al

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 08 at 10:03

When looking for farm oriented rural stores that might carry the granite or turkey grit, look in your local Yellow Pages under feed dealers, farm equipment or livestock feed and grain dealers. If you're a city dweller, you'll probably have to go a bit outside city limits to find what you need.

Some feed dealers will order things that they don't normally carry, so it might be a good idea to ask if they don't already carry the item.

o
sale chrused granite

Available Crushed Granite from our mines in Sulawesi Indonesia.
Sized 0 to 50mm ; Ready stock of 50,000 mt ; Reserves estimated at over 50 million MT ; Prices from $28USD/MT FOB Barge ; CFR/CIF incoterms available upon request
Please send the LOI to Mr. Ricky Abraham, Indonesia ; email reeckeeabraham@gmail.com

o

I've been calling and looking all over the Bay Area here in Northern California with no luck. It seems since this is a coastal region, chicken/turkey grit has crushed oyster shells. Landscaping suppliers and rockeries only have 1/4' crushed granite. From the 1/4' I've seen less than a 10% yield of 1/8' after sifting...granite is heavy :(.

Al, what would you suggest as a ratio for substituting silica sand? I have perlite but I don't prefer it

Turface, Crushed Granite, Silica Sand

Here is a link that might be useful: MSDS for the silica sand

o
screwed up picture link

proper picture link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Turface, Crushed Granite, Silica Sand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here