Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Gardening - wet - containers- yellow spots

Posted by Desireea3 zone 8 GA (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 12:55

I am new to GA, new to gardening and I need help. It have been wet/raining/no sun for almost two weeks now and my very healthy plants have these small yellow circles on them. The picture I included is of my Zucchini plant but some of my beans, tomatoes and flowers have the same spots. I cannot find any pictures that match this so I am at a lost as to what it is or how to treat. I cannot find any bugs under the leaves and I have liitle gray flies that sometimes come up from the soil but I dug out some of the dirt and the roots look fine. I put a thin layer of ceder around the plants to try to keep the flies, ants and other bugs out. The yellow spots are getting worse though they are spreading and only showed up after the weather turned.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Gardening - wet - containers- yellow spots

I'm definitely no zone 8 expert, but in spite of the spots the leaves look pretty good. As long as it doesn't get worse and start killing the plant you might be ok. You might have to begin spraying with your insecticide and/or fungicide of choice.

This post was edited by edweather on Sat, May 4, 13 at 0:36

o

Hi,
if you know of a good nursery in your area, take in some sample leaves from all your plants and see what they say. You can also look up your local USDA county extension office and take them there. There are some mosaic viruses that can affect multiple types of plants. Worst case scenario, if you have to start over with zucchini, you can start from seed and have blossoms again in no time. It's still early for everything else too. It'd be important to id the cause of the problem though, so you know if you can can reuse your soil.
Hopefully it's just something minor related to the rain.

Here is a link that might be useful: County Extension Office lookup

o

I'm in the Atlanta area. I have the same spots on my cukes. Can't say my leaves look as healthy. I'd given up on them. I'll try my local extension office tomorrow. I find them to be very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here