Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Wicking Material

Posted by Peter_in_Boston 6B MA (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 13:00

O.K. As a long-suffering container gardener new to this forum, I have read the "long post", carefully developed a good potting medium, increased the size of the tomato containers I'll be using to 10 gal, and decided to put a wick in each pot. There seems to be a lot of opinions on what is the best wicking material. I have found recommendations for the following. What have you used and which seems best for (1) drainage and (2) watering while away?

braided polyurethane yarn
fibrous rope
nylon clothesline
cotton or polyester rope
soft cotton rope
nylon hose
braided nylon rope
old polyester clothing
pantyhose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Wicking Material

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 10, 05 at 21:29

The best material, both for drainage and for wick watering is 100% rayon fabric. My wife found some super duper deal for me a couple of years ago. She got 2 mop heads, 2 huge pieces of fabric (chamois, about 2ft x 3 ft) and 2 small face cloth size pieces for about 15 bucks. I think the link I am providing is the same package, it is definitely the same manufacturer.

Biblically, long-suffering means patient. ... that you?

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Da goods is here:

o

Talpa,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have stores near me that sells a similar package and will give it a try.

BTW, I'd say that long-suffering (biblically speaking) means one who patiently endured a period of trials or failures. That definately describes my repeated attempts to successfully do container gardening, despite persistently disappointing results.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 11, 05 at 20:34

Keep after it, Peter. I'm sure it will all come together for you. ;o)

Al

o

After read tapla's info here and on the original thread, I did a search for grins. It seems the easiest way to find 100% rayon material cheaply is to look for a mop head. I don't know if the diameter of the wick is critical or not, but you can just cut the strands right from the mop head and voila! instant wick.

You can buy a whole rayon-head mop here with shipping for $ 18.24:

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/35-174-wet-mops/rayon-wet-mop-684403.aspx

You can buy just a rayon mop *head*, shipping included, for $ 16.88 (freight saver option):

http://doityourself.com/store/6433478.htm

Actually, the doityourself has mop heads of various sizes, by weight. That one was a big 32 oz, I now see. For the 16 oz mop head it would be only $ 11.98.

http://www.doityourselfwarehouse.com/6433387.htm

Obviously mop heads are the way to go for the 100% rayon. And if you can't find it near you, online ordering will get it to you in a week.

Cheers,
Mel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here