Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container vegetable DIY potting mix

Posted by ylww0914 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 13:15

Hello,

Forgive me if I'm posting a question that's been answered already, but my search results didn't offer up any answers that were in plain enough layman's terms for me to understand. So here I am. A newbie. This is my third summer container gardening and this year I wanted to try and make my own potting mix instead of dropping a ton of cash on the Miracle Gro mix I've been buying. I have 16 seedlings, so that adds up. The goal here was to save money without compromising my yield.

Here's what I bought at Home Depot over the weekend. I have not mixed anything yet, but this is what I thought I needed until I got home and did more reading.

Potting soil (not mix)
perlite
mushroom compost (I read this is not good to use for container veggies - is this true and if so, what do I replace it with? Manure or Nature's Helper maybe? Nature's helper is 1/2 pine and 1/2 manure)
sphagnum moss

I'm planting veggies and herbs only. What proportions should I use? Did I buy the correct ingredients? I'm so confused. . .

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container vegetable DIY potting mix

I am sorry to tell you this, but I think most of the things you bought are going to cause problems, especially the potting soil. Have you read the most popular thread on this forum, Container Soils -- Water Movement and Retention? It may seem too technical at first, but take your time and read the 94 questions and answers from people just like you. Most of us who follow Al's advice are very happy with the results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow this link to read about container mixes that work

o
RE: Container vegetable DIY potting mix

Thanks, Ohio. I have read it, but it's a little much for a beginner who has only previously used bagged mixes. I'm a pretty decent DIYer with all kinds of projects (I even make my own laundry detergent). I was hoping someone could give me a straightforward recipe to start out with, or help me figure out which components need to be swapped without a huge technical explanation. I have read the 5:1:1 but I don't know what some of the items in it are or how to find them at a store. Then there's fertilizers, compost, etc. - so many to choose from and not 100% with my techniques to apply it (mix in vs. "top dressing") in the proper amounts or intervals.

I did get a couple of things right with the moss and the perlite.

Anyone else want to chime in with some easy advice for a beginner?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here