Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natchez Blackberry - full sun container problems

Posted by Buckeye85 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 13:16

I picked up this sad blackberry plant on clearance last year, and it turned into a sprawling monster (and made three babies, too). This year I up-potted it into a 20 gallon smart pot from the 2-3 gallon plastic container it was previously in, and my father was kind enough to build a trellis that I figured would be portable enough when we move out of this apartment next spring.

However, after mounting it, I realized that the plant is only going to get partial sun - our wall faces roughly NW, and the shade of the building blocks the morning/early afternoon sun. Should I move it? The best I can do is maybe un-mount the trellis, drag everything forward, and find some way to anchor the trellis base to the ground - it is probably doable, but definitely a PITA.

Will it make a big difference in fruit production? I am pretty new to berries, though my blueberry plants are going crazy in their smart pots.

Here's a picture...it was just re-potted yesterday, so it's definitely a little droopy today...I'm hoping it perks up soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natchez Blackberry - full sun container problems

You'll get some good feedback here, and maybe even better over on the Fruits forum.

o
RE: Natchez Blackberry - full sun container problems

Thanks; I hope so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here