Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annabelle1979_gw

Miracle Gro Organic Topsoil

annabelle1979
17 years ago

Hi,

I bought a couple bags of Miracle Gro Organic soil last week because it was on sale and because I am interested in getting into organic gardening. I grow vegetables in containers because the only sunny part of my yard is a leech field. I put the MG organic soil into my containers and planted my tomato and cucumber plants before I read the instructions on the bag (bad idea). It said that the MG organic soil was for garden beds and NOT for containers.

Why isn't it for containers? Should I repot my vegetables? Any help would be really appreciated. (BTW, if you are interested in MG organic soil, make sure you wear a gas mask. The stuff smells like death.)

Anne

Comments (12)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

I looked this stuff up and it is apparently made to amend garden beds. The label claims it is derived from compost or "forest products" as well as sphagnum peat, composted cow manure, and "poultry litter" (which is maybe what you are smelling). The issue regarding use in containers is whether it has enough of a mix of drainage materials and water-holding materials to keep it from staying too wet or being difficult to re-wet. If I had a bag of this, I might consider mixing some in with regular soiless mix. You could consider doing an experiment and try some using that and some in regular container mix and see what happens.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I disagree. This is the kind of stuff that should not be used in containers at all, at least not if you want to have a really successful growing experience. The fine-textured particles in something like this fill the pore spaces too quickly, turning your container into portable muck.

I wouldn't use any amount in my container medium at all.

• sparks5478
    17 years ago

It's not as readily available, but Miracle Gro also has an organic potting mix for containers. I haven't seen it in the big box stores, but most of the garden centers I've been to stock it. I'm trying it (along with their organic fertilizer) in a few of my veggie containers.

• mea2214
    17 years ago

It can't be any worse than what I planted tomatoes and cucumbers in last year. The cucumbers I grew were extremely hardy and seemed to prosper in what I now know as a most hostile environment. I got more cucumbers than I could eat or give away. I didn't even get my soil from Miracle Grow. I've had good tomato crops out of bad soil in containers as well. What I'm unsure of is how much better my crop would have been had I used a proper soil for containers which I might find out this year.

If you have to (or can) replant I'd let the cucumbers be and change out the tomatoes. After digging out the cucumber containers for reuse, I found that last year's cucumbers had an incredible root structure that literally took every inch of the container.

• onecrazymom
    17 years ago

I am also growing cukes in containers, BUT was told that it's "impossible," as the cucumbers' root structures are too big, and the plants would "fail" in a container. Can I ask how big your container was???

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

onecrazymom (nice name, BTW ;-),

Cucumbers do not require very much root space at all. The thing to understand about most gardeners is they base what they say from 'feel' and maybe an 'authoritative' source or two who base what they say off 'feel'.

You can grow a cucumber plant in a tiny root space given ample water and nutrients. The Square Foot Fardening method calls for giving them a 6" wide, 6" deep and 12" long area and to feed them only compost (in a raised bed, not container). It works.

Over the years I have learned to ignore people's notions of how large a space a plant's roots supposedly need. Just grow what you want and feed, water it appropriately and ignore root space for the most part.

If we container gardener's didn't ignore root space issues we wouldn't be growing in containers!

• el34
    17 years ago

I'm with justaguy2 on this.

I have a favorite saying that always seems to apply to things I am always doing.

"Those that say it can't be done should get out of the way of those that are doing it"

• nogreenthumb2215
    13 years ago

I JUST DID THE SAME THING:( My plants are the Bonnie plants so they have some other soil still attached. I thought I was doing great for a non-gardner I bought 2 topsy turvies and a garden box. Today I went to home depot and I bought Miracle Grow Organic Choice Gardening soil I thought I was doing a great job expensive soil should be the best for my plants. Well after I finished I read the bag and it said not for containers for in ground only. Are my plants going to live? I planted 2 tomatos, 2 bellpeppers, 1 habanero, and one melon. I am so disappointed have I killed my plants before I even got them started? HELP!?!

• fitnesskitty_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

nogreenthumb,

I have several of the same plants you have plus cucumbers and zucchini in the same soil you have in containers (also didn't read the back of the bag first, oops) and they are doing great! Already gotten a few giant tomatoes! Also a friend of mine has used this soil for the last few years in her container garden and she gets more vegetables than she can eat and often ends up giving tons away at work and to friends and family. I am not too worried as I've found several others that have also had success with this soil in containers for the last 3-4 years. No worries, I say, but you could change it out or mix it if you're worried about it.

• rnewste
    13 years ago

kitty,

The "Acid Test" (as Dennis Hopper would say) will come later in the Season when your plants go through their complete life cycle. While you may be enjoying early tomatoes now, I suspect come August, this is what you will be seeing:

{{gwi:28759}}

When you empty out your containers, sniff for a telltale odor of SO2. Report back with your findings, please.

Raybo

• wigswest
    13 years ago

Raybo, I'm a newbie - could you explain your thoughts and your picture as well? Thanks!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

In the marriage between topsoil and container culture, you can usually expect the honeymoon to be short.

Al