Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New - miracle gro potting soil - drainage

Posted by lovefirst17 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 13:25

I read a lot before I planted my veggies. I missed MG potting SOIL as bad. At least for drainage. My terra cotta seems regular in its need for water but my plastics not so much. The plants look great tho (been in the pots for about a week) but they are not begging for water AT ALL. So should I drill some holes in the sides to help with aeration? I'm not willing/able to repot with a new soil THIS time although next time I will certainly do things different.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New - miracle gro potting soil - drainage

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 30, 13 at 17:03

Try using a wick to drain any excess water from the lower reaches of the pot, or partially burying the pot in the garden or beds. Tipping the pot at a 45* angle after watering can help remove a significant amount of excess water, too (see example B, below.)

photo PWTs.jpg

Al

o

I read your aeration and water retention. How do I do the wick?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 30, 13 at 17:43

Push a wick made of rayon or other absorbent material up through one of the drain holes with a straight slot screwdriver. Make sure the wick is hanging 2-3" below the pot bottom after you water. DO water until a good amount of water exits the pot each time you water, and let the wick/tipping the pot remove any excess.

More info on dealing with water retention below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More on dealing with too much water in your soil ....

o

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here