Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chrysler Imperial in a Pot

Posted by lwhita z5 Mid-MI (My Page) on
Sat, May 16, 09 at 13:30

Moved a couple years ago to a condo and don't have much yard space, but I miss my roses, especially the Chrysler Imperial that I had. I bought one today and would like to grow it in a pot since there really is no place sunny to put it in the ground here. My question is how big of a pot/what time of pot would you recommend? The one I bought at the nursery today is fairly good size already in at least a 10 gallon nursery pot at the moment. I did some searches and found info about potting roses, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with a Chrysler Imperial.

Thanks!
Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chrysler Imperial in a Pot

I was hoping someone would answer, but since no one has, I can tell you that the Chrysler Imperial will do just fine. Just keep it well watered and fed and every year or two take it out, bare-root it and repot in fresh potting mix. As you know, nurseries grow everything in containers and they do just fine.

o

Thank you! Any suggestions for size of pot?

o

I would say get as big as you can handle. Sorry I have not replied sooner ....

o

I bought one today from a very reputable nursery. It was in a 7 gal fiber pot. I was told I could leave it in that size pot until approx. August. I am in zone 8a. I asked about growing it in a 10 gal pot and was told that it should be fine because the nursery often leaves their plants a "very long time" in large pots; however, it is important to replant it WITH IT STILL IN THE FIBER POT. Removing it from the pot can damage the roots. Cut off a little of the fiber to make the soil all the same level. She also said to be certain to water it every day and feed according to the box directions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here