Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many cubic feet of soil for a 5-gallon bucket?

Posted by Nazarene1 Zone 6 TN (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 13:36

I'm fairly new to the forum, and this is the first time I have ever tried container gardening. I've looked through every single page of the container gardening forum, and (probably because I stink at math) have just gotten confused by discussions on calculating how much soil fills how big a container.

In simplest terms, how many cubic feet of soil should I expect to need to fill one 5-gallon bucket?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many cubic feet of soil for a 5-gallon bucket?

5 gallons is 0.66 cubic feet, however that assumes the soil is as compacted in the bag as it is in the pot, which is very unlikely. You'd probably be looking at closer to 0.5 cubic feet per container.

http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/volume.htm

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 14:02

For additional reference, there is about 7.5 gallons of soil in 1 cu ft.

Al

o

Ah ... wonderful. Thanks to you both!

o

Thank you for the help !! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here