Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

I Finally Repotted My Huge Ponytail Palm!!!

Hello Everyone!!

I kept looking at this Ponytail Palm and i knew it was more than due for a rootprune and repot, but i just kept putting it off... The size of the tree and the weight of the container has played a large part in putting this project off. So... I decided to tackle this "bad boy.." yesterday.... What a job!!

My son was home yesterday, so i asked him to move this heavy container and help me lift it . You can see how rootbound it was and in need of a trim. I know most of you all would say that it needs a larger container, but i am not willing to go any larger. This container is big enough and very heavy, so this baby will stay outside in the greenhouse during the winter.

I decided to repot in the 5-1-1 instead of the Gritty Mix due to the weight issue. This tree does very well here in Virginia Beach, so i know it will be happy with any attention at all!! ;-)

Here are some pictures that i took during the process.

My son, LOL.. said he would stand beside the tree only to help reference how large the tree is. He is 6 ft tall .

Hope you all are having a nice weekend!!!

Ponytail before ...

{{gwi:29484}}
out of the container..
{{gwi:29486}}
close up..
{{gwi:29487}}

cutting off some of the root mass..
{{gwi:29488}}

removed some of the soil from the Caudex
{{gwi:29489}}
{{gwi:29490}}
{{gwi:29491}}
removing the soill from the rootball
{{gwi:29492}}
had to move to continue the removal of the soil... DH worried about the pool!! lol..
{{gwi:29493}}
{{gwi:29494}}

final close up of the Caudex raised and the final pictures of the repotted Ponytail Palm.
{{gwi:29495}}

Finally!! I think i can hear it saying.. 'Ahhhhh... Thank you.." ;-)
{{gwi:29496}}

Hope you all have a great day!!!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, May 19, 13 at 22:09

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!