Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Finally Repotted My Huge Ponytail Palm!!!

Posted by loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, (My Page) on
Sun, May 19, 13 at 13:45

Hello Everyone!!

I kept looking at this Ponytail Palm and i knew it was more than due for a rootprune and repot, but i just kept putting it off... The size of the tree and the weight of the container has played a large part in putting this project off. So... I decided to tackle this "bad boy.." yesterday.... What a job!!

My son was home yesterday, so i asked him to move this heavy container and help me lift it . You can see how rootbound it was and in need of a trim. I know most of you all would say that it needs a larger container, but i am not willing to go any larger. This container is big enough and very heavy, so this baby will stay outside in the greenhouse during the winter.

I decided to repot in the 5-1-1 instead of the Gritty Mix due to the weight issue. This tree does very well here in Virginia Beach, so i know it will be happy with any attention at all!! ;-)

Here are some pictures that i took during the process.

My son, LOL.. said he would stand beside the tree only to help reference how large the tree is. He is 6 ft tall .

Hope you all are having a nice weekend!!!

Ponytail before ...

photo 019-23_zpsaecfed14.jpg
out of the container..
 photo 020-26_zps25e87f33.jpg
close up..
 photo 021-21_zps48c92f3e.jpg

cutting off some of the root mass..
 photo 022-17_zpsae607911.jpg

removed some of the soil from the Caudex
 photo 023-20_zpsf6da02c3.jpg
 photo 025-20_zps91b801ee.jpg
 photo 027-13_zpsc349c2aa.jpg
removing the soill from the rootball
 photo 028-16_zpsb9a28c5f.jpg
had to move to continue the removal of the soil... DH worried about the pool!! lol..
 photo 029-15_zps4e23f78e.jpg
 photo 030-16_zpsb72a8497.jpg

final close up of the Caudex raised and the final pictures of the repotted Ponytail Palm.
 photo 033-15_zps1e0b75e2.jpg

Finally!! I think i can hear it saying.. 'Ahhhhh... Thank you.." ;-)
 photo 032-15_zps3eb7d258.jpg

Hope you all have a great day!!!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, May 19, 13 at 22:09

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Finally Repotted My Huge Ponytail Palm!!!

That is some heavy and excellent work, Laura!
I love seeing re-potting....and congested roots being freed again. Well done!

Josh

o

That's a very pretty tree!

o

Hi Josh!!!

Thank for the kind comments!

This was a project that I kept putting off until I finally felt so bad looking at the massive roots in this container. It is a great feeling to know it is free of all of the congestion and the huge roots circling around the container.

I feel better and I am sure the tree is very happy now that it can continue to grow and thrive in the same home, but with more room to grow.

So nice to see you and thank you for your comments! ;-)

Uaskigyrl... Thank you ! I love this tree too!

Take Care,

Laura

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 19:26

Way to go! Now I know there is nothing you should balk at repotting. That was quite a feat! I'm anxious to see how much faster it grows, now that you've taken the chains off it's feet. ;-)

Al

o

Hi Al!

It is actually looking more active and showing signs of more growth already after only a week since I did all of this root work! You are right about not worrying about root pruning anything now... Lol. Thanks to you and your wonderful post, I feel very confident about working with all of my trees,

Thank you for everything that you have taught me and others here on the forums. I am truly grateful!

Have a great holiday weekend Al!

Take care,

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here