Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miserable peace lily + gritty mix

Posted by Tbites 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 26, 11 at 13:45

Hi,

I've been reading lots and finally decided to register because my peace lily NEEDS HELP.

It's been having a hard time for almost a year. Leaves used to spring back up after soak its pot in water. But it slowly lost its bounce after a good soak.

So I repotted into a bigger self watering pot. No progress. And then I read peace lilies may not like self watering.

So I repotted in a regular pot filled with Miracle Gro. No progress.

So I when to repot and realized the MG was filled with fungus gnats...so I washed off all the soil I could from the roots, trimmed any brown roots and left a bunch of white ones intact. Repotted in Mel's Mix. No progress.

So guess what I did ?

I repotted, but this time tried to Gritty Mix. I had a very hard time finding the materials, so I have Reptibark, Oil Absorbent granules and 1/4" granite chips. Gave it a good soak in a dilution of Miracle Gro All Purpose since I don't have access to Foliage Pro in Montreal. Today, it is completely limp and yet the chopstick inserted to the bottom of the pot feels damp on my face.

I'll try to figure out how to post a picture. Meanwhile, Jodik, Al.... anyone else help please !
Thanks
Chantal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miserable peace lily + gritty mix

Finally, figured out a way to include a pic

Here is a link that might be useful: Unhappy peace lily

o

I think your plant looks pretty good considering the difficult things it's been through. They are tough and I think yours can survive if you will mostly leave it alone and be patient for a while. But first, your story and the brown tips on some leaves suggest the plant has suffered from root rot. Removing the unhealthy roots and moving it to gritty mix was a good move. But I question why you soaked the gritty mix in fertilizer solution. Root rot and all that repotting have probably killed off all the root hairs, which are what the plant uses to take in nutrients. I am concerned that you are risking fertilizer burn when the plant is in shock.

If I were you, I'd flush the pot with plain water until a couple of gallons have run through. That can save it if you've overfertilized it, and it can't hurt in the gritty mix. Then put it in a sheltered area with bright light but no sun. Allow it to dry out for at least a week. Don't fertilize again until it perks up a little. Peace lilies don't need as much fertilizer as most other house plants in my experience.

o

Ohiofem,

I just wanted to say thank you and a big hug for responding. I flushed the peace lily this morning and have it sitting under my grow light. It perked up a bit, not quite upright, but a definite improvement over it's prior state.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here