Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black flowering container memorial plant

Posted by Saycats 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 13:53

I lost my childhood cat last week, and am looking for a plant to get as a memorial. She was all black so I am looking to get something I can grow in a container, pref. flowering, that either has all black foliage or a black flower, and am looking for suggestions for such plants.

Living in Seattle, a couple of my favorite suggestions so far have been a black iris and a black canna, and was curious as to the relative ease of growing either of these two in pots (probably indoors as I am in college and will be doing apartment living for a while) and I would like to be able to keep it going year after year if possible. So suggestions for good plants that fit this bill or advice
on which (if either) of those plants would good for that would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black flowering container memorial plant

I am so sorry for the loss of your childhood cat :(
What a lovely idea to make a living memorial for years to come. I don't have any suggestions but I have a warning. If you hope to have this plant for years and you think you might get another cat someday in the future, I would make sure that it is something which is non-toxic to cats.

Irises are toxic to cats. Black caLLa lilies are toxic to cats. My friend who's a vet warns people that all true lilies are horribly toxic. I know many people have had lilies in the house with cats and not had a problem, but she seen cats who just took a taste brought to the edge of death. (http://www.callalilyshop.pacificcallas.com/callaliliesblackstar.jpg)

Black caNNa lilies are not true lilies and are non-toxic to cats. The canna lilies with deep purple black foliage with red flowers could be beautiful (http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/images/P/Tropicanna Black.jpg)

Once again, I am so sorry for your loss!

o
RE: Black flowering container memorial plant

Thanks for your post Apple - that is a very good point and I can't figure how it didn't cross my mind! As bulbs go I think I might look more into the cannas then.

I did have another idea supplied by my family that I should make a new plant from a big japanese maple we have in our yard that she used to love to sit under, and that we as kids loved to play under. I have to say I really like this idea but have zero experience with grafting (am not a beginner gardener but am a newb to many more advanced techniques). Will move this over in the maples forum as well as the topic has shifted but would like to ask here in case anyone was following this post if grafting from a very, very old (was huge when we moved here 16 years ago) Japanese maple (unsure of the cultivar) would be impossible/frustratingly difficult. From my research on the subject the process seems straightforward and largely up to just getting one of the graftings to take. I had thought to go find a seedling maple at the local nursery and keep it until winter, which is when I'm told is the best time to graft (or could I do it even now?)

I assume the idea is not to let the seedling/rootstock get too big before you graft it, but I'd love to have a tree to care for in the meantime before I graft - if I got a seedling now, would it be too long to wait until winter to graft? I've read that late summer is also an option, unless my sources are just completely incorrect.

Thanks again for advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here