Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Drawf blueberry bush

Suzy11
9 years ago

Hi I just got a drawf blueberry bush called Peach Sorbet. I was wondering when to fertilize. The website says early & late spring. Does that mean only twice a yr? Do I need acidic fertilizer or can I use all purpose? Can plants or the bb bush sit out in the rain for a long time? Is there acidic soil that lets you water once a week? Right now I water everyday and that can be a problem sometimes.

Comments (8)

• charina
    9 years ago

"the website"? The vendor's website? I have read many many websites/extension publications on fertilizing bb's, and they range the gamut from once per year, to weekly. There are a lot of variables to that question. I'd suggest reading the thread on here by Tapla about fertilizing in containers.

One could fertilize with a recommended dose twice in the spring. Or 1/2 rate 4 times, or 1/4 rate 8 times . . . . I'm of the opinion that attempting to keep a more steady low level of fertilizer is better than "spiking" it less often. But, doing it only two or three times a season is rather convienent for most people. Consider a controlled release fertilizer if that is your preference, and supplement it with nitrogen (ammonium sulfate at just under 1/4 tsp/gallon) periodically.

Acidic fertilizer often is an indication it contains sulfur - usually around 30%. It's not "necessary", but is a good idea to use it especially if you are not testing/treating the pH of your irrigation water.

More importantly than whether or not you fertilize heavily once, 1/2 twice, 1/4 four times, etc, is that you don't apply nitrogen late in the season. The general recommendation is to not use nitrogen within two months of first frost. Hence the recommendation you read for the second and last application in late spring.

If you are watering everday this time of year your pot is too small, your mix needs to be changed, or you are overwatering. What are you going to do when extended hot weather arrives? A mix of pine bark fines and peat moss is acidic enough, and ought to be able to go a couple days between watering.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for the advice. The web site that I mentioned is Brazil Berries. Where the bush came from originally. The bush has alot of berries so, can it be repotted soon? The nursery where I bought the bush was watering everyday also. The bush does dry out everyday. I use a moister metor.

• charina
    9 years ago

Took me a bit to find Brazel Berries - apparently a Fall Creek Nursery company. I donâÂÂt find much information on the lineage of the sorbet. IâÂÂm guessing it has ever-green tendencies from southern high bush or rabbiteye lineage, and the red leaves were those which were never dropped over the last winter. If those leaves grew while you have had the bush, or have turned red/bumpy since you obtained the bush, IâÂÂd be a little concerned something is amiss with itâÂÂs health. But if it came to you with red coloring like that, the reddish leaves are likely those retained over winter.

I donâÂÂt have extensive experience with a moisture meter, but enough that I donâÂÂt trust them. I trust my finger more. Daily watering works if the potting mix is right (eg, well draining), but it can quickly drown a plant in the wrong mix and/or wrong pot.

Were it me, IâÂÂd repot it now into a larger permanent home, being careful to not damage the roots while doing so. A larger pot will help prevent drying out, which is a no-no with bbs. My blueberries are in composted pine fines, but it is commonly recommended to use a mix of pine fines and peat moss from 75:25 to 50:50. Some have success in 100% peat moss, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are lots of threads on here regarding âÂÂpine finesâ for potting. The pine and peat provide a nice acidic mix for the bb.

BBs donâÂÂt need a lot of fertilizer. I used a light dose of MiracleGro ShakeâÂÂnâÂÂFeed continuous release (the Tomato, Fruits, and Veggies formula), a couple weeks ago (only application I will do this year) and then supplement with ammonium sulfate weekly to push growth (completely optional). You would be fine using just controlled release fertilizer. Someone that knows a lot more about bbs than I recently suggested another controlled release fertilizer by Gertens. See: Gertens 3lb on Amazon

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Charina. What do you think about using Holly Tone? As for the soil is peat ok for BBs? Doesn't peat m hold water? Will a mix without peat help the BB live longer?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is a plastic, clay or tara cota pot better?

• charina
    9 years ago

I've never used hollytone although I know others have talked of using it with blueberries. My primary concern is the fact that of the four percent nitrogen, it list only 0.3 percent as ammonical nitrogen. I presume that means the rest is nitrate nitrogen, which is not appropriate for blueberries. I would want clarification on what they classify as water soluble and non water-soluble nitrogen sources before I would use it on blueberries myself.

People definitely have grown blueberries in 100% peat moss. I'm growing them in 100% pine bark. Most advocate a mix with majority being composted pine bark fines. I don't think that eliminating peat moss from a mix will increase longevity except where inclusion of peat moss in certain potting conditions is going to lead to waterlogging and early death. I certainly would not advocate a large percentage of peat moss in a pot that is not in direct contact with the ground. But if the potting mix is in direct contact with the ground through the pot holes in the bottom of the pot, then I suppose it would be doable. Like many plants, blueberries don't do well with over watering. It is possible to drown them. Good drainage in pots will support healthy plants.

I think you can be successful with any kind of pot. I think there may be some advantages of terracotta, but I really don't have enough experience to comment on that.

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much Charina. You gave me good info, I guess that I should have just asked if there is a bagged mix and fertilizer that you recommend. Is there?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I retread your post. I understand about the soil and peat. I have citrus and am using a soil without peat so I just asked. My trees are on plant caddies so I guess that they are not in contact with the ground.