Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jusplayn

Chlorine in tap water

jusplayn
11 years ago

Are the use of chlorine removers geared toward the aquarium trade beneficial for us to water plants with? I know rainwater is better but it has not rained where I live for over 6 weeks and my supply is gone. If this has been discussed on GW I can't find it.

Comments (13)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

Good question jusplayn. I have no clue.

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

You can boil the water for fastest results but a real waste of energy. You can just leave water on the shelf for a few days or place in the sun for speedier results
    Using the dechlorinator you mention can actually inadvertently remove other trace mineral salts needed by plants.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Chlorine is a gas and if the water is allowed to stand overnight the chlorine will be gone. Al

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

Does it really matter? It doesn't unless you are growing something super sensitive and expensive. What are you growing?

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

answer to original posters question is No

• augiedog55
    11 years ago

To remove chlormine from water get vit. c at the store. 1000 mg vit. c tablit will do clean 75 gallons. You just crush it up the pill and within hrs you are good to go. I have 18 gall containers i fill with my tap water (chlormine and amonia) and i crush up 250 mg of vit. c. add to the container and thats it.

• howelbama
    11 years ago

I made a simple carbon filter for my garden hose by using a standard home filter housing from lowes with some simple 3/4 male pipe to garden hose adapters (one for inlet and one for outlet). The housing, adapters, and filter (2 pack which will last all season) ran me just about 30 bucks.. This takes care of the chlorine on the fly ( my water supply does not use chloramines) so I can water straight from my hose without having to fill a bucket and let the chlorine gas off and then hand water. If your municipal water supply uses chloramines, you would probably need two filters in a row to increase the contact time with the carbon to strip away the chloramines, but for chlorine, one does the job great!

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

If your fertilizer program is synthetic there is no need to worry about chlorine. It only hurts the micro life in the soil, and for use in-organic container gardeners that is no problem at all.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Some have said that the chlorine and chloramine is gassed off in the first 2 inches of soil or when it is diffused out of the end of the hose. Also, there are so many beneficial bacteria in the soil that even if the chlorine in the water did kill any bacteria, it would be a small percentage.

So my question is...If my municipalities water is very light in chlorine would the amount be so small that it would not reach the soil and if it did it would dissipate or "gas off" when it hit the soil? Does chlorine really kill beneficial bacteria in the soil? Does anyone have a real answer?

For instance Im using citrus tone with beneficial bacteria on my citrus trees. I mix it in about and inch into the soil around the tree and top with about an inch of manure and another inch or two of pine bark. So would watering from a hose with regular "tap" water (My water is pretty clean and does not contain much chlorine) kill the beneficial bacteria that is in the citrus tone fertilizer?

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Oh BTW, above when I said "first 2 inches" I mean first 1/2 inch of soil (half inch of soil).

I really wish this forum would add an edit feature...

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

blazeaglory, you have not indicated you are growing in containers, so I will assume you are not. With your description of your citrus growing, you should not worry at all from using your city water. Al

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Ahh true. I forgot this was the container forum...Lol Sorry