Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two bell peppers in a container?

Posted by Morkai none (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 15:01

I have a somewhat large 16"x 16" container. I was wondering if I could plant two bell pepper transplants in the container, or leave it to just one.

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two bell peppers in a container?

It's a close call, but 16"x16" might be large enough for two. How deep is it?

This post was edited by edweather on Tue, May 14, 13 at 19:45

o

edweather, it's 16" deep as well.

o

I might try it. I don't think you'll get any less pepper mass with 2, and you might get more. Either you'll get one big plant with tons of peppers, or 2 smaller plants with less peppers. You might have to feed the 2 more than the one though. I have a bit of an overcrowding bias I might add :-)

o

This question is often discussed on the hot pepper forum. Many experienced growers think that peppers need about 5 gallons each in a container. Unlike many other members of the nightshade family, peppers have a reputation for liking to "hold hands," or grow close to one another. I have been growing 3 peppers in 15 to 20 gallon containers for several years with good yields. I would guess your container holds 10-15 gallons, so I think 2 plants will work in your container.

o

You can put 4 pepper plants in that container and do well. Let the plants lean out and down. They will fill out very nicely and will need minimal support. Place each plant in the center of its side wall about 3 inches in from the side wall. Last year I use 5 gallon buckets and did extremely well with the most productive plants since I started 20 years ago. A 55 gallon half drum will hold 5 plants. I have 13; 55 gallon drums to prepare but have not decided where to use them

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5864651368775846321/5864653495328454770?banner=pwa&pid=5864653495328454770&oid=111099372377958308731

o

I had 4 of the finest Red Bell pepper plants I ever grew last year.
In one container app.15 across X 16 deep.
Fantastic peppers and plants, until the deer ate the leaves.
I fenced them in, however it must have been to much for them and they did not do well after that.
I did get a few nice peppers tho.
I used epsom salts, and a mix from our local feed & supply

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here