Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Fish Emulsion

Phildeez
12 years ago

Hello again, I was wondering about the use of fish emulsion in my containers with 5-1-1 using Redwood.

At the moment I am using, along with some osmocote slow release, MG Tomato at 1/4 dosage every watering. I am running out and I would like to replace the MG with something organic. I have some Fish Emulsion 4-1-1 for my ground-garden, could I use this in my containers? The recommended dosage is once a month, but I would like something I can dose every watering to keep nutrient levels steady. Anyone use fish emulsion at a low dosage for containers?

Would I be better off with a regular water soluble fert?

Comments (5)

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

I will just quote you what Al once wrote that I neevr forgot and he hit right on the nose. This is exactly what happened to my potted plants using FE for fertilizer purposes.

"There's nothing wrong with using it. Because it is an emulsion/suspension and comprised of fine particles, FE breaks down faster than other organic soil amendments like the various 'meals', but it still depends on the activity of soil biota before the nutrients it contains are broken down into elemental forms the plants can absorb. This fact makes delivery of nutrients less reliable and more erratic than soluble forms of fertilizer. You WILL see more algal crust formation and soil pests associated with it's use - especially if you have a propensity to over-water.
    Al"

Now I use the FE for just pest management br spraying on the leaves, and for my garden beds in which I tell you this stuff is great for both!

Mike

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, Mike. I will keep it for use in my garden bed. What dosage do you use for a foliar spray, though?

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Hi Mike!
    I'd like to know a little more about how you use the FE as a insect repellent too!

I have leaf cutting bee's eating my mini Rose! Boy they have made a mess of it!

What amounts of FE and water do you use and what size sprayer. :-)

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness!

There is really no precise measurements I take.

I just fill a Miracle Grow end sprayer with 1/4 filled FE and then screw the cap on and spray away.
    I see the water filling the sprayer and as it fills to the top, it starts to spray the mixed water and FE together for at least 15 minutes or longer.
    I would have to say it is probably about the equivalent of 1/4 cup per gallon?
    It comes out pretty strong at first and by the time I hit all my plants at that heavier dose, it is much weaker by the time I am spraying all the grass and shrubs.

I hope that helps. I do know for sure that I am not using the dosage as if I am fertilizing as suggested by the instructions. It is way to weak. I am using a much heavier dose.

Jojo: Leaf cutting bees? Know you do certainly have unique bugs in your area! The only bees I have pollinate..lol

Much hugs!

Mike

• jojosplants
    12 years ago

Hi Mike!
    Thanks for the info.. but I don't have enough in the yard right now to drag out the hose end sprayer. lol.. I'll mix a small amount in a mist bottle and see how it goes.

I do have my share of strange bugs..lol!
    But the bee is fairly common actually. A recent google tells me they are really fond of roses!

{{gwi:30182}}

{{gwi:30183}}

{{gwi:30184}}

A little info on them if your interested. :-)
    Hugs!
    JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf Cutter Bee's

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner