Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Z5 Black Raspberries in containers difficult?

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 15:05

I did a quick search and didn't come up with much, which leads me to believe this is a tough one. I know from a brief experience with growing them in the ground years ago, that winter hardiness is an issue, and that there aren't many kinds to choose from in Z5. They lasted a few years for me, and eventually died out. Has anyone done this in containers successfully in Zone 5? We have an excellent wild Black Raspberry (black caps) around here which seems to do fine. Maybe I should try propagating that. My wife loves them, and I like them too. I'll be visiting the nursery on Monday to see what they have, if anything. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Z5 Black Raspberries in containers difficult?

Check on the Wye raspberry. This is a complete parentage of Red Raspberry and Blackberry crosses. It is similar to the Tay berry in its character. But it carries better winter hardiness, and fluctuating temperatures. Yield and flavor are very good. Berries are large conical shape, firm and well filled. Core stays in the berry similar to blackberry species, but color is deep red like the red raspberry types. The taste is more in likeness to the red raspberry, but has hints of boysenberry in its flavor. WYE BERRY will out yield standard raspberry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here