Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigerveg_gw

Earthtainer Pepper Plants Look Sick & Eggplant leaves eaten

tigerveg
11 years ago

I am in need of help. My pepper plants are at the end of the line for my automatic watering system and were not getting enough water in the first 2 weeks of planting. (I just thought they were growing slowly.) I lifted the pipe thing up and now they are getting water but they also have gotten blackened leaves in the last day or two and the new leaves are curly looking. I have also sprayed them with dish detergent mixture because there were little brownish red bugs on the new leaves. One pepper plant is shedding it's leaves. I think that plant has been in trouble since I planted it. I had squirrels dig up the plants in the first week and I had to replant them. I'm not sure what to do next. Is it too late for these peppers?

The new leaves on my eggplant have been chewed up just in the last day. I sprayed them with the detergent mixture also. Is that good enough or should I buy something professional?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket Album

Comments (6)

• emgardener
    11 years ago

With containers you can usually eliminate chewing bug problems. Maybe you transported some slugs or rolly pollys into your mix.
    Go out at midnight with a flashlight and take a look, that's when bugs usually munch.

• tigerveg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your help. I live in Florida and there are always bugs. The second day after planting, one of my eggplants had been totally eaten by a caterpillar. The bugs on the peppers are very tiny and kind of a red color. I looked them up and couldn't find exactly what it was. But I also saw a very long and slender black bug on the back of one of the leaves. It had lots of legs and I couldn't find it online either. There are also small flies around, two different types and neither the common house fly. I'm trying to go without the chemicals but I can see it will be difficult.
    Thanks again,
    deb

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hi, Deb, I would advise that you use a non-detergent soap for future pest control.
    I use Dr. Bronner's castile soap or Murphy's Oil soap with water and Neem Oil for control.
    I also prefer to spray after the sun has passed, so that the leaves dry before the sun hits
    them the following day.

Could the black pest have been a Ladybug larva by chance?

Josh

• tigerveg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Josh,

I'll take your advice on that soap. I've taken a photo of the red bug. It's hard to really see the body shape but maybe someone will recognize it.

Had a look at the ladybug larvae. It would be very close but my bug has a straight and narrow body.

deb

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket Album

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

I grow everything in containers and that never stopped bugs from chewing on my plants. Neem and soap is effective against many pests. Another new organic broad spectrum pesticide that is very safe and effective is spinosad. It is sold under different brand names, including Captain Jack's Dead Bug Spray and Monteray Garden Insect Spray. When you have chunks eaten out of your leaves, that suggests you have caterpillars of some kind. An old fashioned and effective remedy for them is BT, sold as Dipel or Thuricide. The good thing about these organic sprays is that they usually don't hurt beneficial insects like lady bugs, who don't chew on plants. And if you don't spray during the times when bees are out, it won't hurt them either.

• tigerveg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. I have found a couple of caterpillars munching on the leaves but the red bugs have left my peppers. I am really thankful for all the experienced gardeners on the gardenweb. Now to figure out if I need to supplement fertilizer after using Raybo's recipe for my earthtainers. Tomato plants and eggplants are coming along nicely.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH