Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil Conditioner and Gritty Mix

Posted by greybird_keke (My Page) on
Tue, May 28, 13 at 15:33

I want to make some gritty mix, and I found a product called soil conditioner, which is "pine bark and forest products". The size seems to be pretty good, but part of the bag contained clumps that had some white mold growing on it. Is this OK to use? Here is what it looks like straight from the bag.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil Conditioner and Gritty Mix

G...I am learning about these mixes and container growing as well. That material looks pretty good to me! Not too much sapwood.Not sure if that mold would be a big deal. Sure it is from the trapped moisture in the bag. Keep us posted.

o

It looks useable for sure.
I would let it dry out a bit, then screen it to size. Once screened, remove the sapwood (or as much as you possibly can). When you intend to make your mix, re-moisten the bark ahead of time.

Josh

o

Ditto what greenman28 said.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here