Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patiogarden_2010

Conflicting Info on Pine Bark for Gritty Mix

patiogarden_2010
12 years ago

I'm totally confused.... in Al's recipe he says to use fir or pine in 1/8 to 1/4" size. In one of the threads Al says to use what passes through a 3/8" but not a 1/4" sieve. This is effectively 1/4" to 3/8" size.

Which is it???? I'm loosing a lot of bark to bigger than 3/8" and less than 1/4". I'm using pine bark fines.

Comments (3)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

If you have access to fir bark, which is 'chunkier' than pine bark, use 1/8-1/4" if you can. If you're using pine bark, which is flatter than fir bark, use what passes through 3/8 but not 1/8".

It's better to have the pieces a little larger than idea than smaller; 'too small' negates one of the main advantages the gritty mix is designed to offer - no perched water table.

AL

• patiogarden_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reply... I get it now. One more nit picky question.... do I have to sieve Grani Grit grower or just rinse the dust off?

I'm very excited to try this stuff on my kiwi vine. Growing kiwi in containers is a bit of a stretch to begin with. That's why I chose the least vigorous variety.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Gran-I-Grit is prescreened, but it's best if you give it a quick screen or rinse to rid it of the dust. Good luck!

AL