Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iron deficiency in container pepperocini

Posted by jcade 7b (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 15:39

Hi everyone!

I'm new to trying to grow things and not kill them (aka gardening). We have a pepperoncini plant that had it's first bud appear over the weekend however it also has some serious signs of iron deficiency. Tested the soil's pH and combined with the yellowing of the leaves and a scorched appearance I'm hoping I can help this little guy out. I've read a lot about chelated iron being added to correct the problem but am wondering if anyone has tips or suggestions to help with this.

What we're using:
Three gallon smart pot
Aurora organics potting soil
Once a week feed with BioThrive 4-3-3 formula (It's high in nitrogen and now that I found a few buds I plan on changing the feed to something high in phosphate to get the fruit going unless there's other suggestions)
Watering when the top few inches of soil feel dry

He lives in a west facing window where he can get sun and warmth.

Thanks everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iron deficiency in container pepperocini

Yellowing spots on leaves around veins

o

A few examples of leaves that appear "scorched" There are several of these around the plant, particularly on the larger leaves.

o

I think the plant looks great!

Perhaps you kill plants with care. A plant needs water and sunlight. It doesn't need a chemistry lab - plants have been growing without chemicals for millions of years. I recommend that you back off on the ferts, give them a standard feeding of 3:1:2 NPK weekly (or less).

And water when the plant starts to wilt (or a little sooner once you learn how often it wants water).

For some folks the hardest thing in gardening is learning patience.

Good luck,
Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Tue, May 6, 14 at 12:21

o

The plant looks fine, although rather immature (still small compared to a fully mature plant). Indoors is going to be tough and I think your plant will be limited by insufficient light rather than insufficient nutrients.

The fertilizer you are using is not necessarily "high" Nitrogen - it's actually high Phosphorous and Potassium. At this point, I'd actually increase the Nitrogen to keep the plant growing. Peppers will flower long before they're ready to set pods. Most often, the early flowers will abort - but many of us will remove early blooms in order to keep the plant in a vegetative state (until it is of an appropriate production stature).

Chlorosis would look much different. I recommend googling for images of iron deficiency.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here