Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

automatic watering (for short vacation)

hairmetal4ever
9 years ago

Memorial Day Weekend, I am taking a 4-day trip with family. My plants in 5-1-1 outdoors in larger (1 gal or greater) should be fine for 4 days if I water right before I go from what I've seen so far.

However, I also have some seedlings outside in 32-cell Rootmaker trays - they are root pruning cells about 2 X 2 inches, about the size (or a tad larger) than what veggie transplants are normally sold in.

These have a modified 5-1-1 in them (I screened the bark a bit finer - to 1/4") and need water about every 36-48 hours or so - they do a great job but dry out FAST.

I know this for a fact as I lost my first few seedlings in early April between going to work at 8:30 AM (when the surface was still slightly moist) and coming home in the early evening (around 6) on a sunny 72 degree day.

Short of asking a friend to come water them (which is a lot to ask on Memorial Day Weekend), what can I do? Unless it rains (never can count on that), they'll almost certainly die by the time I get back. They're already in shade most of the day (they get about 2 hrs/sun) so more shade probably won't help enough to make a difference.

My random thoughts:

1. Get a soaker hose and timer - not sure how well the soaker hose will wet a 5-1-1- type mix (not sure it will wick through the whole thing or just wet the area directly under the house).

2. Get spray stakes and a timer.

3. Just ask a friend and pay them a few bucks for the inconvenience.

Comments (4)

• nil13
    9 years ago

Another option would be to stick them in a clear plastic bag in deep shade for those 4 days.

• Charlie
    9 years ago

Or you can place them is a shallow container with about an inh of water in the bottom.

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    9 years ago

Where in Md are you? I'm in Annapolis. I know it is super-creepy to think of someone from the internet watering your plants, but I'd be willing to water for you if you're within a half hour's drive. You can PM me if you like.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Sounds like a job for an simple sprinkler and inexpensive automatic timer hooked up to the hose bib with a length of hose in between. That's how I went on vacations, leaving an expensive bonsai collection behind. I've also left flats of seedlings in cell packs.