Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna in containers

Posted by craftygardener ON 5b (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 15:50

I'm trying to decide whether to grow my canna in large pots this year and wondering if anyone has done this. What results did you have? Did you use any type of plant food? I know they require lots of water, so did you come up with any type of watering system?

I usually pot them up around now so that they have some growth on them before I put them out in the garden, but thought that if I used a bigger pot I could just leave them in it for the season and move them around as desired.

I live in Ontario, Canada which is zone 5b for Canadians. Thanks for your help and advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna in containers

Craftygardener, I grew three Tropicana cannas in a large rectangular container last year. They did just great. Drainage was very good. Last fall I put the whole thing in the garage and they wintered there. They were ready to go this spring with new growth. I'll probably top dress them with good potting soil soon. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do this, even in Ontario.
Good luck -
Sunny

o

I've often grown canna in pots here in zone five central Illinois. I use fresh potting soil with nutrients already added, and never fed them during the summer. I haven't tried to take the tubers in over the winter - just let them live out one season on my patio. They've been dazzling for me. I used large foam pots or a whiskey barrel and they get about a half day of sun. As for water, I just use the hose and water when I do my other containers, which could be every day during the hottest times.

o

I have grown many canna in containers, they do fantastic here in Wisconsin. I generally use larger sized pots such as 18" or larger and place 2-3 in each along with something trailing along the outer edge.

For watering I have run the gamut from getting the tubers to sprout and then placing them in water filled containers (no drainage holes) to growing them normally and watering normally. They don't seem to care either way, but don't use a water filled container unless they have been sprouted in a container with drainage or they will simply rot.

I also don't overwinter them, but treat them as annuals si I could care less about their long term health.

To fertilize them I do the same thing I do with everything else, use Foliage Pro and Pro Tekt although in the past I have used a variety of things. When treated as annuals their care isn't critical. Feed them with whatever as long as it has a decent amount of N and K to it and they will do fine in full sunshine.

Very easy to grow in containers.

o

Thanks for your replies. My Canadian zone 5b probably translate to 4b in the USDA zone. I have always dug the canna and stored in my cold room over the winter.

o

I have dozens of cannas of different types in various containers. I keep them over because here in Texas the winters are not bad. My favorites I put under the potting shed because it isn't the cold but cold WET soil that will kill them in the winter. Most of them make it anyway. The main problem I have is that they do spread and about every two years I have to depot them and divide which is hardish work. They are easy to do (we just use a saw!!) and plant half in one container and half in another and they go on and on. I feed them with a regular long lasting fertilizer every 3 months and spray for leaf rollers when they come out and keep them watered. Not much work and they do reward it! All sizes work but I think the "dwarf" and medium size cannas bloom more than the big ones for me. The most prolific bloomer (by the way) and most self cleaning is Orange Punch. It is also a spectacular color and does well in pots. I highly recommend it.

o

I know this is an old thread, but here goes nothin'. I was lucky enough to get a Canna 'Shenandoah' from Alice Harris at Karchesky Canna this summer. It was potted up immediately, and is starting to take off. I will be putting it in a bigger pot soon, with a trailing plant to dress up a plain pot.

What do you use to spray them for leaf rollers? What do you suggest I plant with it? Thanks.

o

I have two 24 inch glazed pots with Tropicana Canna in them for four years. I started each with a single root from a trade. Both pots are almost full now. They are in partial shade on the edge of a sprinkled area, and do well with the water they get. I have not fertilized them and they are doing well without it, but I think they should be fertilized for best results. Al

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 11:20

I grow the dwarfs periodically as the height component in mixed containers and they always bloom well & display attractive foliage.

PG - contact me off forum about the leaf roller issue if you're interested.

Al

o

I have some in several size pots for the first time this year and they're doing great. Even the ones I thought would outgrow their pots are holding on wonderfully. It has been crazy hot, but they seem to love it - even just with a daily watering. No flowers yet, but the leaves are big and in the knee/hip height. I never thought about being able to store them during the winter if they get dry enough in the pots - I may have to try that with a couple!

o

I get free Canna's in my yard, I didn't have to plant them either. lol
My next door neighbor must have canna's on the other side of the fence, and it's been coming up on my side of the fence the last 2 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here