Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Angelonia wilting in the heat??

Posted by paradisecircus north central TX (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 15:51

I recently purchased 2 different kinds of angelonia, Serena and Angelmist I believe, based on their heat loving nature. Living in Fort Worth, TX we get plenty of heat and sun and I was excited to read that angelonias thrive in those conditions. However, the angelmist has started wilting which confuses me!! Yesterday, a small thunderstorm moved in and the plant got more water than I wanted it to, as I had watered it that morning, and the temperature dropped to about 65 degrees from our usual 90 degrees. What shocked me is that the plant perked up considerably! The stems were stronger, leaves thicker and perkier, and now with the heat being back in the 90s today, it's wilting in the sun and heat. I've included a pic. Am I doing something wrong? Its in generic potting soil from my local nursery.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Angelonia wilting in the heat??

How long ago was it when you transplanted the starts to the bigger pot? If you put it into full sun in 90 degree heat right after transplanting, it could be transplant shock. When I put my new starts into their permanent pots, I keep them well watered and in dappled shade with protection from the wind for a few days. It takes a few days for their roots to begin doing their job and become efficient at taking in water. I use a fast draining mix (5-1-1) and don't worry about watering too much when I first plant my starts, especially if the temperature is high.

I love angelonia. Even though I have a very different climate than you, we had a heat wave and drought last summer, and my angelonia thrived.

o
RE: Angelonia wilting in the heat??

Hi I am in the Round Rock area, north of Austin, and I planted some too about 4 weeks ago in a pot- and while it is in full sun, it has late afternoon shade, and I had similar issues as you stated for the first 2-3 weeks after I planted it.. It has since stabilized and is thriving. With the current temps, I have found that even my most drought tolerant/ low water needs plants ALL needed daily watering and less intense sun for the first week to 10 days after transplanting into new pots! I love the angelonia, and was very concerned about mine for the first week, but she pulled through fine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here